Help with pots for a Gibson

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by jdandry, Dec 19, 2009.

1. jdandry

jdandry Member

I need some info on pots. Problems: on my guitar the tone controls seem to not roll off treble till the very end of the pot. How do I make this even throughout? I am using a .022 cap between the volume and tone pots, the pots which are 500kA gibson pots.
    2nd issue: on my bridge pickup, with the pot on 10 it has alot on highs but right when it is turned to 8 it darkens up alot, any way to even this out? The pickups I'm using are a Lindy Fralin in the bridge and a Dimarizo EJ Custom in the neck. Thanks for any info!!

2. Phishy4

Phishy4 Member

I would think it would be a function of either the taper of the pots themselves, or the way they're wired, as a .022 cap/500k pot setup is fairly standard for humbuckers. I'd look at Jason Lollar's wiring diagrams here and see how yours is wired before you start swapping out parts. After that, I'd think a set of good quality CTS 500k pots (or the RS Super pot for volume) like these would work.

3. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

It sounds like it has a linear tone pot, fit a CTS 500KA(log/audio) and it will work.