Help with practice amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by PaulE, Apr 25, 2016.

1. PaulE

PaulE Supporting Member

Heres my situation-I'm constantly at some kind of practice with my 13 yr old son be it baseball,Jiu-jitsu or whatever.
    what I am looking for is an amp I can pop the hatchback plug it into an inverter and play along with backing tracks and use all of this time to help my playing.
    Bluetooth would be handy or I can plug my Ipad into it.
    Any suggestions?

2. Astronaut FX

Astronaut FX Member

There are any number of iPad apps that you could use. Maybe pair one up with one of the IKM iRig2 devices.

Or, take a look at the Yamaha THR series. My favorite practice amps of all time!

3. IndyMead

IndyMead Member

The answer to every thread with "Practice Amp" in the title is something from the Yamaha THR series.

4. redeyedjim

redeyedjim Silver Supporting Member

It depends on how much portability you need. The Yamaha THR series is great, but the Blackstar FLY3 is a serious amp that may be all you need for your situation, and it's less than $60 new. MP3 input, built in delay, decent clean tone, decent OD tones, less than $60 new, very tiny form factor = pretty compelling. Doesn't have BT connectivity, but then again, it retails for $59.

5. SmokeyTone

SmokeyTone Member

Yamaha THR all day. They just came out with a V2. To me, it is the best solid state amp on the market today. I sold mine like an idiot and plan on purchasing a newer version one very soon.

6. Dr.Picklebottom

Dr.Picklebottom Member

yamaha thr is very nice also the blackstar fly3 is so fun. its a mini battery amp but seriously, it sounds better than it should. has built in delay and has a dirty tone too. i love mine, keep it out on my screened in patio.

7. straightblues

straightblues Member

In the old days, we used to use Rockmans. It looks like they still make them today for $69. If you search headphone guitar amp on ebay you will find several available from about $15.

I have a lot of things with my kids as well. I ended up buying a Danelectro. They are semi hollow and get pretty loud for an unplugged electric. I play without an amp. It is a cheap enough guitar that I don't worry about it staying in the car or getting beat up.

8. garret

garret Member

IRig for best portability. You can download songs and play along and record.

9. PaulE

PaulE Supporting Member

Thx for all the replies
    The yamaha is sucking me in but there seems to be a few models.
    Not very clear online about the differences in the 10,10v2,10c.
    I get the x model has more gain -anyone played the others?

10. Bluesidae

Bluesidae Member

I would agree with the Yamaha THR option.