Help with Rat settings

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by GloryJones, Apr 16, 2015.

1. GloryJones

GloryJones Supporting Member

I have a Whiteface Rat Reissue that I've had a love/hate relationship with. I enjoy it a lot as a low gainer with a bit of overdrive.

I would like to use it as a high gain pedal. Not fuzzy but just a nice, thick distortion.

I have found it to be a little thin sounding at higher gain settings. I have the gain set to about 10-11, filter at 2-3, and the volume at unity. I have had some issues figuring out the filter control. Sometimes it's been set so it cuts through too much and is piercing. Other times it's been set too low so it doesn't cut through enough. Any advice here?

Is the filter control the trick to getting it to sound thicker? I'm playing a Strat through a clean amp, which I've also heard could be an issue.

I was using an SL drive for higher gain stuff with pretty good results, but it lacked the complexity and unique qualities of a cranked Rat. I liked the sustain of the SL but I don't feel I get the same from the Rat.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
  2. Thedude99

Thedude99 Member

How loud are you playing? The Rat is really underwhelming at lower volumes, but is amazing at band volumes.

Mine is usually set somewhere around where you have it. Used it that way through a Silverface Twin Reverb for years - I don't think it has anything to do with the amp being clean.

3. GloryJones

GloryJones Supporting Member

I was actually just about to edit to say I play at band volumes. I play out a few nights a week so I'm trying to work this pedal in. I play through an all clean Deluxe set at about 4 o'clock.

4. yigba

yigba Member

Boost the Rat with a nice, cheap Bad Monkey. You will be amazed.

5. Pizzaking

Pizzaking Member

I use settings similar to yours, filter 2:00-2:30, gain 9:00-11:00.

The Rat does cut bass, maybe try adjusting your amp settings a bit?

6. vegetablejoe

vegetablejoe Member

... or with any other not so cheap tubescreamer clone, for that matter.

7. Jules-RM

Jules-RM Member

Actually, I've had the best luck with Rats at the top of the chain, with a tonally balanced OD (Timmy, Gain Changer, Honey Bee etc) after. The low end of the OD pedal takes care of the bottom loss, and the highs are easier to dial in.

8. jusdepoissons

jusdepoissons Member

I usually have to have the rat set higher than unity gain, that way when I kick it on I perceive a boost in mids instead of a drop in bass.
    Sometimes it works better if you set the filter a li'l more counter clockwise than usual and smooth it out with the guitar's tone knob.

9. MilwMark

MilwMark Member

You could try running the gain a bit higher. And I sometimes have my Filter fully CW. It gets darker and thicker as the gain is increased. But if you happen to be using the start bridge pickup and that's when it's too piercing, And that's when it's too piercing, well, that's the nature of that pickup IMO. Good luck.

10. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

Using the Rat for gain above the noon setting is cool. Filter around 3:00 is when I like it. It just isn't meant to bring a lot of low end to the party. Hats why it is so good in a band mix. It doesn't walk on the bass guitar frequencies and it lets he kick drum have lots of room to punch.
    Raising the gain is essentially adding upper harmonics which is the opposite of adding bass.

Don't be afraid to go all the way up with the filter. And dial in the amp EQ with the gain tone oh have in mind.

11. ItsaRat!

ItsaRat! Member

I'd definitely say increase the gain a little bit and see where that gets you. You can dial it in for a hint of the fuzz, but still clear. If you're finding it thin, I say try experimenting with the filter control, because rolling off the highs and bringing up the overall volume of the pedal should give you a perceived increase in thickness. Also, I totally agree with setting it above unity.

12. Kev O)))

Kev O))) Member

For higher, non-fuzz settings, I'd leave the Distortion knob between 12-2.

Filter around 1-2.

Lower gain is around 10-11 on the distortion knob.

13. caspa

caspa Member

Yep, it's all in the filter.

BUT the strat isn't the problem. Strat bridge pup + Rat :bow

You're going to get those fuzzy overtones to some degree a lot if you're running the gain up high, so either back it off and hit the strings HARD, or just accept that it will sound kind of loose while playing by yourself, but just right in the band mix.

If you're looking for a pedal solution, a treble booster into a Rat is absolute heaven for high gain sounds

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  14. jchan

jchan Member

Agreed about the filter. The slightest touch on it has a big impact. I usually run mine with Drive at noon, Filter somewhere around 2-3 o'clock and volume around 2. I get a nice OD sound with my guitar volume backed off and nice high gain lead with guitar volume on 10.