1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Help !! with recording in stereo....

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by frankiestarr, May 23, 2011.

1. frankiestarr

frankiestarr Member

Here's what I need to know. If i have a AT 822 stereo mic attached to a XLR mic cable into a eighth inch stereo adapter, then into the Canon camera's stereo mic input....Am I getting true stereo ??? Thanks.

2. mgrier1

mgrier1 Silver Supporting Member

If you believe Mixerman and the info in his latest book, there is no "true stereo" in recording... You are creating a simulation of stereo by capturing one of the signals at a slightly different time than the other and that simulates a stereo image... Of course you introduce phase issues into the mix and those need to be dealt with.

I am now in agreement with Mixerman and pretty much just grab a mono signal and work on the entire mix as a stereo entity. Sometimes a room mic can be added in for depth and difference, but still there are attendant phase issues.

Points to ponder - there is no right or wrong in recording - just what you like.

Anyway, with regard to your question, I'll hazard a guess that if you don't have a legit stereo cable coming out of the stereo mic, you are most likely not capturing "true stereo" signal.

Do some tests and listen to the signal and see that you are getting your desired results...

Best,

Mike

3. Fran Guidry

Fran Guidry Member

Yes. Two omni mics a couple of inches apart pick up two channels of the same thing - two channel mono.

The AT822 is a pair of cardioid mics in an X-Y pattern or close to it. This arrangement achieves a stereo image by capturing intensity difference and is a classic way to capture true stereo. If these signals are maintained through the connection and post production you will have stereo.

Fran

4. frankiestarr

frankiestarr Member

Thanks you guys....so if I'm just using the Xlr, it's not stereo .... If I use the mic cable with a left and right 1/4 inch male on the end, it will be, right?

5. Fran Guidry

Fran Guidry Member

Are you using the original cable that came with the AT822?

Here's a link to the AT822 spec sheet. http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/resource_library/literature/1c54579c9c613753/at822_english.pdf

It specifies a 3 pin XLR wired in a specific way to a 1/8" stereo plug. If you have this cable, or if your adapter follows the specified pattern, you'll have stereo at the plug.

Fran

6. frankiestarr

frankiestarr Member

Thanks Fran
    I have both cables...What would be ideal is if I could use an XLR coming off the mic into the eighth inch adapter that came with the mic...into the camera. I guess I could put on some headphones and try to see if it is or not. Or do you think I would still have to have re-wired XLR cord to do it ????