Help with removing malware

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by BeautifulGuitar, May 8, 2015.

1. BeautifulGuitar

BeautifulGuitar Member

Hi,

My computer has recently picked up some malware (one or more sites pop up when I visit webpages,as well as annoying little shopping ads)
    Aside from running a Malware Bytes,SuperAntiSpyware or a similar program, is there anything I can do to remove the malware?

Last edited: May 8, 2015
  2. sweiss

sweiss Member

Are the popups the only issue, or did it also install a search engine that you don't want?

I ask this because my grandson once downloaded a "free" game without my permission, and a bunch of stuff rode in along with the downloaded game. Some of it was popups like you describe, but the worst thing was some weird search engine that I'd never heard of. It somehow got permanently set as my default search engine. The only way I could get rid of it was to run a system recovery, which wiped my hard drive clean and reinstalled the operating system.

3. Jonathan

Jonathan Member

4. neoprimitive

neoprimitive Member

Good advice. Combofix is very effective. but you should back up anything you don't want to lose. because combofix can have bad consequences and things can go very wrong when using combofix. most likely nothing will go wrong, but if it does, you'll end up reformatting and reinstalling the os and all your software.
    I'm pretty sure they warn you about this on the page when you download it. Do not mess us when you use combofix, you may think it has stalled and try to escape or close it, this is when things go bad. be careful!

5. guitarfish

guitarfish Member

I am an IT Admin. I don't spend a lot of time on malware because we don't get it very often. But I have had to clean 5-6 PCs in the last couple months, including some for friends. The routine that has worked pretty well for me:
    -Go through installed programs and remove stuff the user likely didn't install - toolbars, stuff that came in piggybacked on other apps, etc
    -Delete browser cache's (IE< Firefox, Chrome, etc)
    -Delete contents of users temp folder (Put %temp% in Windows Explorer address bar to get there)
    -Delete contents of c:\windows\temp
    -Full Malwarebytes scan
    -In a few cases I've had to run Rogue Killer to get rid of some root kit infections
    -Reboot and test. In some cases a second run of Malwarebytes finds additional stuff.

These steps have been all I needed to do.

6. BeautifulGuitar

BeautifulGuitar Member

Sometimes a small window will come up on the screen,with a shopping ad.
    Right now,I see some highlighted words on this thread,like REMOVING MALWARE,COMPUTER,MALWARE BYTES,PROCESSES,INSTALL,COMBOFIX,ABOUT VIRUSES (all in capitals and each has a link when you run the arrow over the bold type).I noticed that at the bottom of these shopping ads,it says "ad by Mini Ad Blocker" This is one of the sites that comes up in another window,when I click on something online : http://trafficonlingetstorage.in/passthrough?&url[/url]...(I shortened the address).

Sweiss, I did get some weird website set as my homepage some days ago,but I just changed my homepage to a regular search engine.

Thanks,all.I'll try some of those steps.

7. Roark

Roark Member

Best advice, but if you can't get it on your own post the same issue at the bleeping computer forum. They're great.

8. loudboy

loudboy Member

If you can find the name of the malware, google it, and there's usually step-by-step directions for that particular one.

Unless you're an IT guy, it'll usually eat up at least half a day.

9. rdwilson

rdwilson Member

I always get advertisements on the gear page , it piss's me off & I run security essentials & malware full scan at least once a week, I don't seem to get ads on the airgun forums,or on the Kemper forum.

10. tazzboy

tazzboy Supporting Member

Get the Pro version of Malwarebytes and then restart your computer in safe mode and remove the malware that way.

11. Randy

Randy Member

In my experience, system restore is the easiest, most effective way to get rid of any virus or malware.

12. dingdongditch

dingdongditch Member

Ad Block, playa.
    :)

13. darkwaters

darkwaters Member

In addition to Malwarebytes, I'd also recommend Ad-Aware. Easy to use. I run both ( along with Microsoft Security Essentials ). They seem to make a good team.

Guitarfish gave some good advice. Of course, if you're not into the IT thing, it can seem a bit overwhelming. Helps to have an IT geek friend/relative.

I highly recommend removing the admin capability from the account(s) that you normally use. IE. Make it a Standard User. Make sure you set up a password protected admin account first (Account Type = Administrator)! This account will be strictly for admin stuff, not surfing. The little nasties have a lot harder job installing in a Standard User account. (It has the added advantage that, if multiple people use the PC, they can't install any software if they don't know the password. ;-) )