HELP with some wah advice!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Daniel B., Jun 16, 2008.

1. Daniel B.

Daniel B. Member

I have a Crybaby 535Q and it has got to go. Not smooth, poor sweep, big volume loss in low end of frequency, sounds really bad with cleans. Really disappointed with this wah. I'm willing to spend up to $200 for a wah that I can keep for life. I've read reviews and researched but I still feel lost.

I'm looking at Ernie Ball Wah, Carl Martin 2Wah (can't find reviews), Fulltone....I've heard pretty good things about the Vox. I play an LP and I use the distortion in my amp with an MXR EQ. Don't want the high end shrills and I don't necessarily care about frequency adjustments and all that crap.

What do I need guys?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2008
  2. dsl

dsl Member

3. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

4. natejens

natejens Guest

I just got a Budda to replace my crybaby and love it. Just my $.02.

5. Daniel B.

Daniel B. Member

Oh good, three replies with three different answers. What do you all specifically like about these wah pedals? What other pedals have you tried and how do they compare?

6. crzyfngers

crzyfngers Member

i have the vox real mccoy. no volume loss on the low end, nice round tone all the way through the sweep. i did have to have the high end backed off a little to get rid of some squeal when i put some overdrive in the mix. just a matter of turning the pot a little. i can't vouch for quality control. try a few and make sure the one you buy is the same one you tried. if it's a floor model, ask for a discount.

7. dsl

dsl Member

8. djbinzo

djbinzo Member

Fulltone Clyde Deluxe all the way. It replaced a Vintage Crybaby for me.

I like the case design as much, if not more, than the sound. Great travel, feels nice, and built like a tank. I have had nothing but problems with wahs built into the "traditional" style case.

9. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

I wound up with the Fulltone Clyde Standard. Good to go.

10. oxtone

oxtone Member

Teese Picture Wah! Warm, warm, warm tone.

11. mrmax

mrmax Member

Wah for Life......Roger Mayer Vision Wah, I got one used off ebay for $200, new over $600

12. krog

krog Member

Sounds like you are describing a Teese Wizard Wah...great vocal sound, not shrill, not muddy with humbuckers and loves higher gain growl. Love mine and $200 new.

13. Brad J

Brad J Member

I went from the 535q to a loaded Area 51 Wah.

I was after a wah with more sweep, better low end, more grind to the tone, and got it with the Area 51 in spades.

14. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Was just wondering...how long ago did you buy the 535Q?

I ask because I bought one last year, and it seems to be TB, and has a huge range of settings...in short, it sounds nothing like what you describe.

I also have (and really love) a Budda wah, Teese Picture wah and a crybaby (as well as snarling dogs, and vox). Some of the wahs I have moved the sprocket one or two notches more bassy to get rid of the main treble sounds, but honestly...the last months I have been digging the 535Q more than any of them.

But they all are great, except the Vox which sucks tone like crazy....I need to TB it.

15. dosmun

dosmun Member

16. trower

trower Silver Supporting Member

You may be in for a long journey..Wah's sound like a reletively simple pedal to land but even the best one's can have quirks..If your not that anal, any of the above will kill your old Wah. If you do get an adjustable wah i.e; RMC2 or 3, Area 51, Wilson etc..you may eliminate some buy and try headaches..

17. A440

A440 Silver Supporting Member

another way to go - have your existing wah modded or get a drop-in kit if you're handy with a soldering gun. there are many out there doing it. the search button is your friend on tgp. here are a few names:

area 51
    wilson effects
    pedalworx