Help with speakers for my 65 Blackface Bassman!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by minjason, Jan 13, 2008.

1. minjason

minjason Member

Hi,

I'm looking to swap out the speakers in my closed back 2X12 cab for my Fender 65 Blackface Bassman. I'm not too familiar with speakers and speaker combinations, so any of your recommendations would be highly appreciated. I am looking at getting Celestions, but I'm not sure which ones and/or which combination of celestions would give me a good amount of clean headroom, tight bass response, and a smooth breakup. Can someone also tell me if I'm supposed to get 8 ohm or 16 ohm speakers? Again, I don't have any experience with speakers, so any of your advice would be helpful. Thanks so much!

[​IMG]

2. wgs1230

wgs1230 Fully Intonatable Silver Supporting Member

First: ideally, you want a pair of 8ohm speakers wired up the same as the stock speakers (in parallel) to show a 4ohm load. That's what the Bassman output transformer puts out, and proper impedance matching will give the fullest tonal response.

As to what kind of speakers, the question is, how do you want the *amp* to sound? Are you replacing speakers which still work b/c you don't care for them, or are they worn out/not working and you'd like to get that sound back? (Also, keep in mind that not all Celestions sound alike- there are substantial differences in tonal color between, say, the 25w Greenbacks and the C-75s.)

The trouble with high headroom speakers, meaning handling of over 50w apiece, is that they tend to have relatively hi-fi treble response which is great for clean tone but doesn't translate to "smooth" breakup- that smoothness is the product of a warmer/darker high end at any setting.

Some speakers I've tried in the Bassman 2x12:
    -Celestion 65s, probably the warmest higher-wattage speaker they make, good for overdrive, a little dark for cleans with humbuckers to my ear.
    -Celestion Greenbacks, which at 25w are borderline for the Bassman's output when turned up, good overdrive characteristics but a midrange hump which can't be dialed out on the clean side.
    -Weber Blue Dog ceramics, an adapted version of the old Vox Blue cones (which came stock in the original AC/30) with higher powered magnets (30 or 50w, the originals were only 15w apiece). The 50w model might be my favorite "British"-voiced speaker.
    -Jensen C12N, one of the 3 original OEM brands Fender loaded into these cabs, probably the best choice for the traditional Fender cleans.
    -Utah 50/12, another of the OEM brands, looser bass response and warmer mids than the Jensens.

3. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

You should get 2 8ohm speakers since they are wired in parallel in that cab and the amp wants to see a 4ohm load.

What your describing kind of sounds like an EV or JBL speaker. Check out the Weber Michigans or California's. The closest celestion I can think of to what you are looking for is a Classic Lead 80, but I didn't care for my bassman with CL80's. G12H30's would probably be the best celestion choice. You should check out Scumbacks if you are going to go for a Celestion type speaker.

4. ROKY

ROKY Member

Lots of cool choices for a BF Bassman head :

Eminence :
    Texas Heat, Cannabis Rex, Tonker, Wizards,Tone Spotters,etc.

Celestion Hellatone 30s or 60s (Dave at Avatar's pre-treated cones)

various Webers

SCUMBACKS !

5. Miles

Miles Member

I think Eminence is the way to go for new speakers. They have some very handy soundclips on their website.

6. 67super

67super Supporting Member

I have a weber 12f150 and 12f150b in the same setup and like it.

7. steveokla

steveokla Member

I've tried a few different combinations in my bassman amps, but I should first point out they're all 6G6 circuits. That said, my personal favorites have been Tone Tubby ceramics, but, as wgs pointed out above, it's a matter of what you're after. I"m a minimalist when it comes to pedals, and I personally like a fat sound with a lot of midrange growl. The TT's really captured that for me. After that, I think the Vintage 30's I tried came the closest, though they had a darker character, it seemed to me. I love the honkin' midrange tone of the original Oxfords, but, of course, they've got a lot less headroom and, as people have complained, flab out at the bottom. One of my bassman--an early '62 6G6A came with factory installed JBLD120's. This had a nice, big sound, tight bottom. They were a littlle 'trebly' for my taste, and were, for most applications, obsecenely loud with this head by the time they started to do anything like break-up. If you're looking for big, clean headroom, they certainly provided that. I haven't tried EV's, though I popped an EV SRO coffee can in my '61 Bandmaster and have been real impressed. Seems to drain-off some of the shrillness and the bottom end is huge. Good luck in your quest.

8. Birdy

Birdy Member

Ditto...... :dude

9. devbro

devbro Member

I've got a 63 and I too love clean headroom. I ended up with a pair of EV12L's. I tried the JBL D120F's and actually prefer the EV's. For me, the Celestion vibe was all wrong but as previously stated, if you're after break-up then you might like them.

10. Aslan

Aslan Supporting Member

I will offer something a little different, I would put Eminence Tonkerlites in the cab, it would have a nice balanced tone, increase the efficiency by more than double, and decrease the weight by 14lbs. I put these speakers in my Twin Reverb and love them.

11. minjason

minjason Member

I might just go with a whole new cab considering I gig pretty often and my current cab is pretty beaten up. How would a Divided by 13 2X12 cab sound with my bassman?

(I would keep the original cab of course)

12. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

My personal preference with my Bassman heads are Celestions - specifically Greenbacks or G12H30s. Both sounds fantastic with them.

13. JDJ

JDJ Supporting Member

Did you go with 50W or 25W? Dope? Thanks.

14. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

+1 and what about doping on the 12F150's.....

15. JDJ

JDJ Supporting Member

FWIW, Ted Weber recommended a 12F150 25watt and a 12F150B 25watt, both light dope, for my BF Pro Reverb. I'm gonna try it.