help with tele intonation!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by adelphi710, Dec 14, 2005.

1. adelphi710

adelphi710 Member

hey, i have a tele w/ the callaham vintage 3-saddle bridge w/ compensated saddles. i was just curious if there are any tips for getting the intonation as perfect as possible. i'll be using a peterson strobostomp, so that will help. but do i just have to intonate the E, D, and B string, and the A, G, and high E strings will already be correct, or vice versa? thanks a lot,
    alex

2. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Your idea will work but the best thing I found for intonation was putting 11's on it. I believe the Teleman suggested intonating the guitar so a B bar chord was in tune at the seventh fret. I did this and it has worked great. I have the Callaham plate and saddles as well, the plate really makes a nice difference in the sound of the lower strings.

See here for Jerry Donahues trick to setting up a tele:
    http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/techtips.shtml

If you can deal with it the heavier strings really make the guitar sound great.

3. adelphi710

adelphi710 Member

i actually already use 11 - 48s or 50s i believe! so thats great, thanks for the advice!

4. Chris Rice

Chris Rice Member

Setting one string of each pair should get you there. Check the other 3, and if they are off, blance the difference.

The Callaham saddles are nice, but I've found Glendale saddles to intonate even better if you can't get them intonated enough.
    http://www.glendaleguitars.com/saddles.htm
    Not affiliated, just a happy owner of 5 sets.:BluesBros

5. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

With my Callaham-equipped Tele, I usually intonate the low E, G, and B strings because those are the ones that I can hear the easiest when they're out of tune. The D string being a little out doesn't bother me, but the G being out will drive me crazy all night, you know?

--chiba

6. Chris Rice

Chris Rice Member

Oh absolutely!!!

The reason I started using compensated saddles in the first place was the low E and the G.:cool: