Help with Telecaster pickup selection

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by RocknPop, May 12, 2015.

1. RocknPop

RocknPop Supporting Member

I'm looking to buying a MIM tele, and upgrading the pickups, but I am having a hard time narrowing it down by looking at YouTube videos and searching online.

Guitar and amp: Telecaster MIM 2014 through a Mesa TA-15, Vox and Fender channels primarily.

Pickup options:
    • Fender Custom Shop Twisted
    • Fender Custom Shop Blackguard
    • Fender '51 Nocaster
    • Fender N3 Noiseless

Criteria
    • I'd' like the neck pickup to be "round" and "glassy", with enough clarity and definition but also with the ability to roll off the tone to bring it to a jazzy tone. The N3 noiseless gets almost to that point but unfortunately, it still has a harsh attack when the volume is rolled off completely.
    • The bridge pickup is ideally aggressive, glassy, defined, and crisp
    • Ability to switch to position 2 and have a sparkly, snappy, "tele", twangy tone

Any suggestions?

2. omfg51

omfg51 Member

I have a 2008 Am. Std. Tele with the '51 Nocaster set, and they are most certainly glassy and articulate. I can definitely roll of the tone to get some jazz tones, and rolling a tiny bit off the volume helps sometimes too. Use audio taper pots for sure though.

3. RocknPop

Is there a chart that compares the ohm reading for these pickups?

4. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

The Twisted Tele neck/Broadcaster bridge combo is the stock offering on Am Std Teles. It's a really nice combo as it adds a little more brilliance to the neck and punch to the bridge. The Blackguard bridge is great sounding compliment to keep things bright, but still has some beef.
    FWIW, I find that a slightly brighter neck and slightly hotter bridge makes for a versatile Tele set. You can always roll the tone down (use a .033 to .047uF cap instead of .022) to darken the tone, and a treble bleed circuit (I used a 150K paralleled with a .001uF) rolled off a couple numbers can tame the output and add a touch of twang to the bridge.

5. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

6. Goerman

Goerman Member

I just refit my tele and went with the Lolar 52 tele in the neck position and a Fender custom shop bridge (sorry not sure what model as it was lying around at the ol' shop). FYI I also replaced all the electronics including a new 3 way selector as the tele was originally equipped with 3 Lace Sensors. I can say that I now have the Tele I always wanted.

7. RocknPop

Is this the Custom Shop combo they started with in 2012?