help with the order of my pedals

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by junior40, Jan 12, 2008.

1. junior40

junior40 Member

I am starting to get a lot of pedals and right now i have a wah>muff>ds-2>ce-5>holy grail>line 6 dl4>amp...i have an OCD as well but i dont know where to put it, please help figure out the right oder to put them in, thanks guys:AOK

2. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

i WOULD MOVE THE HOLY GRAIL to the end of the chain...other then that you listed the right order...maube mess around with the muff and ds-2 to see what sounds better to YOU

3. junior40

junior40 Member

yeah i like it the way it is right now too, but i dont know where to put my OCD? i'm thinking before the muff and ds-2? and somebody from HC said the same thing about the holy grail and at the end of the chain, why would that be?

4. Dale

Dale Member

I would try the OCD into the muff, then between it and the DS-2 and then after and see how it did with the stacking in those cases. I do not think there is a right.

5. Rob Eadgbe

Rob Eadgbe Member

Because it'll sound better.

Delay is single repeats one coming after the other. Reverb is multiple repeats all coming at different times. By having reverberated signal going into a delay you lose the effectiveness of the reverb to "tie the whole signal together" so to speak.

6. junior40

junior40 Member

ok i'll try that, i put the reverb before the delay because i saw it on somebodys else's board, but i'll switch it up to see how it sounds, thanks!

7. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

try:
    wah>OCD>ds-2>muff>ce-5>holy grail>line 6 dl4>amp

or

wah>ds-2>OCD>muff>input of amp ce-5>dl4>holy grail (all in effects loop)

I think you might want to be able to stack a drive tone into the muff to get it to act all crazy like. Plus toss those timebased effects in the loop. That should give you better tones. That way you arn't driving the delays, you are driving the preamp, then delaying that.

Good Luck
    dk

8. junior40

junior40 Member

ok, it looks like the ds-2 should go before the muff, but on frusciantes board it look slike the muff comes first, but i'm going to try it out and i think the ocd sounds better after the muff....man this is confusing, i'm horrible with pedal order, i wish there was a set way to do things but i'll have to try them all out, once again thank you for the responses :AOK

9. junior40

junior40 Member

ahhh will i ever find the right order?!?!?

10. whitenoise

whitenoise Member

if your like me, youll find an order you like for awhile, then change somethign around a few weeks later...

also try

ds2 -> wah > OCD > muff> ce-5>dl4>holy grail

11. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

http://www.beavisaudio.com/techpages/PedalHacker/OrderSwitcher.htm

wam bam bust out that iron man!

There is no wrong way to do it. David Gilmore's gull sounds on the song "echos" with a reversed wah come to mind. Not reverse echo with wah.... the wah was just plugged in backwards. It made some weird ass feedback, David controlled the feedback, and you have an interesting sound.

I'm sure there are a bunch bands (mars volta, radiohead, wolfmother, rage/audioslave, white stripes, incubus) that use effects in the "wrong" way. Perhaps not wrong, but not in the traditional way.

It all depends on why you need the pedal to begin with. You intentions of what sounds you are trying to produce. Do you need to cut with another guitarist, or are you in a power trio? Or are you just messing around alone?

I would look into different true bypass loop options. You can wire up some interesting and useful effects combinations this way. Then pop a switch, and pull them out of the chain with true bypass.

good luck

dk