Help with this decision, trade content, Twin Reverb for Reeves 18 watt.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by TrevGrooves, Sep 8, 2008.

1. TrevGrooves

TrevGrooves Member

I have a blackfaced 72' Twin Reverb that I was looking to trade for a Deluxe Reverb reissue. I got a response back from a guy willing to trade a Reeves Custom 18 combo for it, even trade. Anyone ever play these? Can I achieve a nice tone that is not hair metal? Is it a good trade?

2. TrevGrooves

TrevGrooves Member

3. PRNDL

PRNDL Member

Why would you specify a reissue DR?
    IMHO that may be step down. I'd recommend a vintage (hand wired) DR or PR instead.

As for the Reeves Custom 18, from the specs on his web site, it looks like a hand wired boutique amp with good quality components (Heyboer Transformer, Power Scaling, Mallory caps).

18 watt amps get a great blues tone on lower volumes and old-style metal on 10. The amp tone is greatly influenced by the preamp and output tubes, which can change the tone from blues to country to hard rock. The overall volume (watts) is much lower than a twin. Of course, the more it's turned up, the harder it is to get clean tones. It's a great amp for small clubs.

If it's in good shape and has been recently serviced (i.e. how old are the tubes and electrolytics), it looks like a VERY good trade.

Actually, it might be too good, usually because it's no longer got that fantastic tone it had when new (which may explain the lopsided trade). A fresh set of tubes usually does the trick, although it may also need new electrolytics or a bias (some people bias EL84's very hot, which decreases their lifetime considerably). These amps are a bit fussy in that respect, unlike your Twin, which is a workhorse.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  4. TrevGrooves

TrevGrooves Member

Thanks for the response. I really like the Fender tones, not sure i want the Reeves. I also use a few pedals. I got the Twin for $400 froma friend, he hooked it up pretty nice. I would love a vintage Deluxe, I just want something to get better sustain and tone with my Analogman TS-808/silver and Barber Tone Press. I play more jam/Jazz/Funk type music. I'm not sure the Reeves 18 is what I am looking for, although it sounds like a fantastic amp.

5. TrevGrooves

TrevGrooves Member

I have also been offeref a Fender Blues Deluxe. I would like some thoughts.

Thanks!

6. TrevGrooves

TrevGrooves Member

It is a red tolex Reeves Custom 18 head and cabinite. Keep in mind I onlt paid $400 for my Twin from a friend.

7. TrevGrooves

TrevGrooves Member

My only worry is that the Reeves will break up a little too soon, that's why I was looking for a Deluxe. Bubt you can always mic the amp for gigs, and the Reeves looks like a GREAT amp...

8. HIPCHIP

HIPCHIP Member

I think that the twin reverb is pretty much a standard for amps, so if you like the way it sounds why would you want to trade? Save your money, keep your amp, then buy the other one when you can afford it. You can never have too many!!!! (Uh oh, GAS is kicking in!)

9. gtrfinder

gtrfinder Supporting Member

I dont think you'll be happy with the Reeves.
    For the styles of music you describe I think a Deluxe Reverb or derivative (mentioned above), or even something like a Super Reverb would work better.
    You describe wanting something with better sustain with your pedals, which is a little confusing. If you are using pedals you should be able to tailor the "gain aspects" from the pedals and leave the amp relatively clean, in which case it doesn't really matter what amp you use as long as it has a desirable clean tone.
    Are you looking for the amp to get a little more involved in the equation? Do you want more responsiveness from the amp itself? If so you'll likely need a lower wattage amp.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2008
  10. TrevGrooves

TrevGrooves Member

Thanks for the responses! I have also been offered a Fender Blues Deluxe. I might as well keep the Twin, it has been my baby for a long time and I know I would miss it. I am just low on cash and was interested in what trades I would be offered.

11. TrevGrooves

TrevGrooves Member

That is great advice.

:banana