• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Help with this MIJ 1989 Alvarez Yairi DY74 please......lots of pics

vbf

Greetings, ladies and gents. I'm a regular over at the Guitar Forums and other but haven't posted here much and hoping for some assistance from you acoustic experts please. :aok

A lady I work with is looking to sell a 1989 MIJ Alvarz Yairi DY74 (pics below) and I'm trying to value it, both wholesale and retail. It appears to have a one-piece spruce top, rosewood back and sides (2-piece back), mahogany neck and headstock, ebony fretboard, and ebony bridge. It also has a pickup under the bridge with button hole input, no on-board preamp. One of the pickguards is de-laminating from the top and the guitar is in serious need of a good setup and fresh strings.

In addition to wholesale and retail ranges, I'm also interested to know what you acoustic experts think of these guitars? Are they highly regarded? Are they thought to be of high quality? I played it through a one of those Bose towers at the music store this afternoon and it works and sounds really good despite needing a neck adjustment and new strings. Thank you very much!!

davess23

Gold Supporting Member
I don't know if I'd qualify as an acoustic guitar expert, but here are a few thoughts:

• This is basically spec'd as a Martin D-28 copy from the looks of it, with an extra pickguard and a bit of fingerboard bling.
  • If it's solid woods (no laminates) and it sounds good and is in good health I'd guess you could ask $800 or so for it, retail.
  • That spruce top is probably book-matched 2 piece, not one piece.
  • Is the bridge ebony? Looks like rosewood in the photo.
  • I wouldn't be surprised if a neck reset were needed in a 1989 guitar, if it's never had one. That can be expensive.
  • I don't know how carefully it's been kept, but if the guitar belongs to somebody who doesn't know guitars and just put it in a closet or whatever, I'd check it carefully for problems caused by changes in humidity.
  • A-Y builds what I think of as 2nd tier guitars, good workmanlike instruments but not on a par with the better Martins or Gibsons. I don't mean to offend those who like them-- I've seen some individual A-Ys that were damn nice. But generally they're less expensive and a bit less desirable than the big names.

LBXPDX

All Yairi's under the dy95 have laminate back and sides and most, of not all, have solid tops. Depending on the part of the country you are in, I'd put the value between $450-600. Big spread, but the double pickgaurd is a detractor from value, but it does look exceptionally clean. I've seen them in shops at $700, but they stay along time at that price.

treeofpain

Gold Supporting Member
It is difficult to give a realistic value without inspecting it for any needed work. As davess23 indicated, a neck reset is a few hundred dollars, and for a guitar that is in theory worth $600-700 retail, it is a repair that represents a big part of the value.

vbf

Thanks, gents, I greatly appreciate all the info. I purchased it for $200 w/hard case. :aok It'll be in the hands of my local, awesome Luthier this Saturday for a setup, etc. Before I purchased it, said awesome Luthier looked it over and gave me the thumbs up on it. That said, once on the bench, he may find something overlooked during his cursory inspection. Hopefully not. If so, I'm not into it for much. As badly as it needs new strings and a proper setup, neck adjustment, etc, the guitar sounds really good and the pickup works.

vbf

So I picked this up from my local Luthier on my way to a Friday evening gig. I rarely play a guitar in a live situation without first using it at rehearsal but felt pretty confident. I have to say, this guitar sounds great! The FOH guy came afterwards to find out what I was playing and said it sounded fantastic. I have an LR Baggs Para DI en route and looking forward to experimenting with it.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom