• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Help With This Time Sig

Phletch

The slow C-Am "A section" sounds like it's in 6|4 (bass lead in starts on the 5, piano comes in on the 1, the hi-hat is on the 1, 3, and 5 as I'm counting it).

The chorus/"B section", however, I'm not sure about. Any ideas? Please and thank you.

Song starts at 1:11

Phletch

Bump for confirmation or...?

Just had another listen and it sounds like it just goes to a 12|8. The snare hit is on the 5 where it breaks into that double time, and if I count "1and2and3and4and5and6and" the snare hits on the 5 each time, and it all fits at the end of the break going back to 6|4 with the hihat on the 1, 3, and 5.

Yes? No?

JonR

I know what you mean about the 6/4, but I think I'd put it in simple 3/4. Most of the bars do fall into pairs, but actually the A section is 9 x 3, so you'd need an additional 3/4 at the end anyway. It's basically an 8-bar form with an additional bar for breathing space.

The B section maintains the same time sig, IMO. You can keep counting the same pulse, and it works out as 5 bars of 3/4.
IOW, it echoes the A section in that it's an even number plus 1.
Of course there are syncopated 16ths which tend to throw you, but it all pans out to the same pulse, the same count.

flavaham

The accents change but I think it's constant. I think I would count the slow part in 3/2 though. The change almost feels like 12/8. Either way, they're all subdivisions of the same sig. Count along with it in 1/8 notes. You'll find it doesn't change.

Phletch

Hey guys, thanks for your insights. 3|4 does work all the way through (even though the A section feels like 2 six beat phrases), so that's how I'll count it. Flav, the counting eighths in the B section is the way to go. That makes the tempo transitions between sections much easier to manage.

Thanks again, guys. :)

Top Bottom