Help with tone... Les Lius

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by vpittman, Feb 28, 2012.

1. vpittman

vpittman Member

So I need help ....
    I'm primarily a bedroom player, but would still like to get some good tone...

I've read here about how great the Les Lius is for getting those 'tweed tones', but I'm just not hearing it. I'm pretty sure it's my setup, 'cause I'm hearing about the same with multiple pedals (Wren and Cuff Red Camel (red llama clone), Field Effects Manifold Drive, SubDecay Liquid Sunshine, each of which I have heard great things about). The problem is that I'm just not hearing much of anything. Maybe a bit of volume boost, but no grit like what I'm expecting. The only pedals that I seem to get any amount of grit is a Nobels ODR-1 or a Wampler Super Plextortion, and each of these with the gain set pretty high. I'm not even hearing a lot out of a Kelley Fuzz Head... But I'd like to focus on the Les Lius, if I can get that to soud good then I think I can figure it out for the rest

So here's my setup...

1990 Firebird with Duncan Antiquities - bridge pickup, volume @ 5, tone @ 7
    1973 Fender Champ w/ Weber 8A125 speaker - volume @ 6, treble @ 7, bass @ 3

So what do you think could be the problem ? Am I just expecting to much from the pedal at bedroom levels ?

I'm open to try anything...

Thanks for all the help !

2. vintage saddles

vintage saddles Supporting Member

Why not turn that volume up on your guitar?

3. aaronblues

aaronblues Supporting Member

Les Lius will not add a lot of grit with your guitar volume rolled back, but cleans up wonderfully. Find a volume that works for clean with the volume rolled back, then crank it for the dirt, should work just fine with your champ. If you need more, turn that 2nd knob to about 3oclock, and kick the boost in.

cheers

4. dshobe

dshobe Rocky Mountain Way Silver Supporting Member

Yep, crank your guitar's volume. You'll find the magic!

5. vpittman

vpittman Member

Thanks everyone... I'll give that a try later tonight !

6. vpittman

vpittman Member

Ok... Finally got to give that a try...

As simple as that is it plumb evaded me...

you guys are awesome, thanks again...