Help with tone?

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by Guitarius, Sep 26, 2006.

1. Guitarius

Guitarius Member

OK, I recorded this little ditty as a kind of test: I've been slaving away at trying to get a (very) slightly overdriven tone...

I'm almost happy with the sound, unfortunately it's exposing me for the crap guitarist that I actually am!! Anyways, any views or opinions on what I could do to get just a bit more smoothness/punch, without adding any more distortion would be appreciated....?

here's what I did: http://www.guitarius.net/Gypsyband.mp3

Here's how I did it:

Fender YJM Strat (Maple necked one, creme as I was told that's the best 'tone-color' lol) into a Marshall DSL 401 Combo on OD2 with the following settings: Gain - 10 Vol - 3 Treb -8 Mid - 3 Bass - 7 verb - 4.5

I miced it with a Yamaha MZ105BE and recorded my riffs into my Imac via an M-Audio Firewire410.

Jazz iii Picks (red) playing on the neck and bridge pickups...

Now, any thoughts, dudes? Your opinions are respected, and although the playing on this track doesn't really reflect it, I worked my butt off trying to get a track that was 'critiquable'... Sorry in advance about the genre...

2. wortles

wortles Member

your timeing and intonation are decent, you play that type of music well. Although, i am not a fan, sweeping is for brooms IMHO.

You search for slightly overdriven, yet you use a digital effects package with the gain on 10, what the hell. overdrive is an analog effect, and it should sound like your guitar naked, unplugged, underneath everything. Then your effects should be added to that sound. you sound completely synthetic, roll off the effects send. you need more dynamics processing. your highs come through, but all the mid and bass runs get drowned out in the mush. the softer spot in the middle third of the song is where the dynamics are all off.

But, so you don't go and kill yourself for emulating a loser, I say again, that you play that type of stuff quite well. if you get away from the synthesizer sound, you will be much happier.

3. Woodyworld

Woodyworld Member

Hi Guitarius,

I thought the playing was excellant, and the tone suited the style perfectly. I grew up listening to a lot of this stuff having my roots in rock and although my ears lead me other things now, I thought it was great.

The tone suited the style perfectly. I would have to agree with wortles, that I would consider this quite a high gain sound. I would image It would be quite hard to play those licks with anything less!! You've clearly worked very hard at you're playing in this style :AOK

4. Guitarius

Guitarius Member

Thanks for the feedback: The pickups on the YJM are not real high output, it's at a level where my playing (I feel) is really hard to get the notes, especially fast ones to come out...

Digital FX, well I put a delay on the Right channel for some wet-ning, but I shall try something different on the next attempt: Thanks for the input, dudes! (I'm just learning)

5. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

To get that "clean" distortion like you are probably seeking, you really need to get that Marshalll somewhere where the master volume is much higher and the gain amount is lower. That's just about all there is to it. YJM uses a DOD preamp right? Yuur amp has pre-amp gain in it, so if you can get the master way up, the power tubes will give you more of what you're looking for without as much amp distortion.

Just don't unleash the fury on your next airplane trip.

6. Guitarius

Guitarius Member

Well, thanks for the input: Again, all I used was the amp and a mic. I added a delay after the fact in GB to the right channel, but hey it's all good...

I love the critiques...

7. Normster

Normster Member

Hi Scott! Long time no see. :)
    I thought the tone and mix were very good for your style. If you need more punch, I'd fatten the mids a bit (or maybe add a touch of compression). To keep the lead from getting lost in the mix, you may want to try a bit less reverb on the lead. Lastly, I'm a big fan of the BBE Maximizer plugin to add articulation to the mix. It tightens up the bass and adds a bit of sparkle to the top end.

8. Guitarius

Guitarius Member

Hmmmn, Normster, where would one get ahold of that plugin, and is it available for GB, or would I have to use it with a 'real' recording software?

thanks for the listens, dudes!

9. Norse

Norse Member

I'm almost happy with the sound, unfortunately it's exposing me for the crap guitarist that I actually am!! Anyways, any views or opinions on what I could do to get just a bit more smoothness/punch, without adding any more distortion would be appreciated....?

There is NOTHING wrong with either your tone or your chops my friend!
    :JAM
    Keep em comin'

Greg

10. Guitarius

Guitarius Member

heh well, cool! Thanks for the feedback!

11. Miles

Miles Member

Well, if you want more punch, turn the mids up from 3 to more like 2/3 the way up, that instantly gives guitar a much more dominant role in the mix.