Help with trem & block, is it or is it not steel?!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by kitchyriccardo, Feb 27, 2009.

1. kitchyriccardo

kitchyriccardo Member

Hey people, I'm pretty new to the guitar parts and all and here too (so nice meeting you all), but I was just wondering about something. I ordered a wilkinson tremolo kit for my fender as a replacement and says what I ordered, it has stainless steel saddles and a solid steel block. But the thing is, if its a solid steel block, wouldn't a magnet stick to the block? (because it doesnt at all) and if its stainless steel saddles wouldn't the magnet not stick that much to them? (because it does like iron/steel). The block does seem pretty heavy and appear to look like steel in a way, but is there anyway to really tell or insight?. Im thinking it could be zinc or some other mixtures.Thanks.

2. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

Is the block coated with any chrome or anything? This could be why a magnet doesn't stick to the block. Wilkinson has licensed his parts, where did you purchase the trem? Perhaps its one of his licensed designs with less quality materials.

I say just install the sucker, and if it sounds good and works good, who cares what its made of?

dk

3. rockstarjay

rockstarjay Member

See if it sticks to the back of your amp speaker. It should be nearly ripped out of your hand. if it doesn't stick you've been ripped off and should return it.
    Wilkinson U.S.A. no longer makes their own bridges. They are licensed to a Japanese company called Gotoh and are now produced as Gotohs cheapie line in Korea.
    What bridge are you replacing? A real US fender bridge (AV or AmSe) goes for $70 online. Made in USA with real steel. A callham block for a mexi goes for $60. Much better options IMO, because without the block you've spent your money going sideways.

4. thesjkexperienc

thesjkexperienc ^^^ I made this guitar^^^ Supporting Member

5. schmit

schmit Member

Does it float?.....I just spit my coffee all over my keyboard....

there are many grades of steel that are non-magnetic....and not as good as other grades for trem blocks....it could be that they use one of these grades.....the main thing is is that it is not cast..I pretty sure casting includes adding things like lead or other things

6. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

That's a totally WRONG piece of infomation there!! You sounded like all Gotoh parts are cheapie junks. In fact, who said they have factory in Korea???

High end Gotoh parts are made in Japan.

The Wilkinsons and Gotoh trems they produce are some of the highest quality trems ever made.

Better than the Original Wilikinson USA, better than any Fender. Their vintage trem design is copied by those highend repro companies who claimed to be original.

All Wilkinson trems made by Gotoh Japan has the Gotoh/Wilkinson stamped logos.

Just ask Suhr, Tyler and CS Fender.

USA fender and CS use Gotoh made kluson tuners and Gotoh vintage trems. Fender doesn't make their machines heads or trems at all.

Suhr uses the 510TS line trems with milled steel blocks. Suhr also uses the staggered klusons made by Gotoh.

Tyler also uses the 510T line tremolo on their guitars.

You think these companies would use a few dollars worth of parts on their multi-thousands dollars worth of guitars??

7. rockstarjay

rockstarjay Member

Thats not what I said, I'm sorry if that was implied.

Gotoh makes high quality bridges and tuners. Because of that they would not release a lower quality product under the Gotoh brand. They have licensed some Wilkinson designs and the brand name to release a Korean made 'bridge line'. Kind of like Armani and Armani Exchange. Or Calvin Klein and CK-1. Same parent company but not the same clothes. But Wilkinson U.S.A. is not producing their bridges themselves anymore. This is my understanding from reading information on several different sites.

The question is what did this bridge cost and what is it replacing. If there's really any steel in it it will stick to a powerful speaker magnet.

8. Husky

Husky Gold Supporting Member

I believe the Wilkinson block was powdered Steel on some of the models. Depending on the alloy, maybe not magnetic, stainless steel can be magnetic or not. most I have seen is not. [SIZE=-1] A basic stainless steel has a 'ferritic' structure and is magnetic. However, the most common stainless steels have a higher chromium content and nickel is also added. It is the nickel which modifies the physical structure of the steel and makes it non-magnetic. [/SIZE]We did try a true CRS steel block on Wilkinson VG300 and didnt like it at all, it sounded better with powdered Zinc alloy. Now as far as the 510 with a steel block, this is true machined CRS steel and is a killer sounding bridge in all it's versions. I still prefer the 2 post with it's massive posts and inserts, with vintage or solid style saddles it has as much body transference as 6 screws. I have never heard a better sounding, performing bridge. The materials used in a bridge do not follow a "tone footprint" The design factors really come into play as to which materials sound better, as is true with wood.