Help with Tremol-no

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by BugsOct, Feb 23, 2012.

1. BugsOct

BugsOct Member

Hi all,
    I'm having some trouble setting up a Tremol-no I installed on my Charvel SoCal (non-recessed Floyd) and will be grateful for any help. The Tremol-no shaft/receiver binds during use, giving resistance, scratching and not returning to pitch upon release. The trem block and Tremol-no need to be perpendicular, but I can't make this happen within reasonable constraints. It seems to me that the rear trem cavity is a bit off-center towards the treble side, so the block is pretty tight on the bass side. The bridge position is okay (~ level). I would ideally tighten the Tremol-no claw on the treble side, but this would worsen the angle between the block and the receiver/shaft and not allow the rear tailpiece/pin to insert into the block. As it is, the rear tailpiece/pin is as far to one end of the front tailpiece "sight" as it can be. I've included a link to Photobucket pics; hopefully this will clarify what I'm trying to describe and show the misalignment. The best option may be to drill another hole in the trem block to accommodate/accept this suboptimal alignment. Thanks for any help. Ven

http://photobucket.com/SoCal_Tremolno

2. yetikeeper

yetikeeper Member

to be honest i am not going to be much use to you really. I have 3 tremol-no's on different guitars and I know from experience they can be a real problem to set up correctly. Not only can they bind because the are not parallel left to right, but also up and down. Also they can be skewed by tightening the claw screws. I had one guitar that refused to go right and i was pulling my hair out. In the end, one half turn of the claw screw did the trick. So it can be something very small.

But, looking at your setup I can see that you are struggling to get the tremolo correctly aligned. Did you buy the correct fitting tremol-no. Maybe the large clamp version would be better. did you check the tremol-no website

3. TB72

TB72 Member

I went through exactly what you're experiencing just a couple weeks ago when I installed one of these on a Floyd-equipped tele (My third Tremol-no install BTW).

The tailpiece pin on my guitar is much like yours (all the way to one side of the sight). From the looks of your photos, the alignment doesn't look bad at all. It will just take a bit of trem-claw screw adjustment to get things working smooth. When you adjust, I can't stress this enough, GO SLOW AND EASY. Even a quarter turn of a screw can make a huge difference in this situation. Basically, you'll have to a) adjust a bit, then b) try the trem. Repeat until the trem action feels smooth. It can be a bit tedious, but it's crucial to make the unit operate properly. On my guitar, the claw screw adjustment that I made wasn't even enough to alter the tuning of the guitar, but it made a world of difference in how the tremol-no functioned.

One thing I can't tell from your photos is whether or not the up/down alignment is alright. If it's off you'll have to use the shims (included with the device) to correct that.

One more thing, if you haven't checked it out already, the inventor has a couple Youtube videos showing complete installs (both the pin-type and the clamp models). These helped me out a lot when I was installing mine.

So as you've seen, installing these can be a bit of a PITA, but the end result is worth it (well, it was for me at least).

Later...

4. Fons

Fons Member

And now for something completely different. I bought a Tremol-no from Allparts for $75,- Now I see the same product on the Musician's Friend site for $ 49,95 Why? What gives? I mean, that gap is huge .

5. BugsOct

BugsOct Member

Thanks, Yeti and TB72. Adjusting the claw screws by small increments had taken it from bad to worse. I hadn't paid much attention to the up/down alignment, but I think you both may be pointing me in the right direction. The paint on the bottom of the rear cavity is scratched off underneath the shaft/receiver, so this may at least be part of the problem. Hope to have some time this weekend to look at it more carefully.