Help with Tremolo...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by picbiff, May 18, 2012.

1. picbiff

picbiff Member

I feel like I'm searching for the holy grail or something but I am not able to decide on a SIMPLE (maybe tap-able) tremolo.

Can you guys help me out? Opinions/advice on a tremolos would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

- Pic

2. dshobe

dshobe Rocky Mountain Way Silver Supporting Member

What have you tried so far that isn't getting you to stop looking?

3. picbiff

picbiff Member

I've tried:
    TR-2
    Malekko Tremolo
    Lovepedal Baby Tremolo
    Empress Tremolo
    Watched videos/heard clips of Strymon Flint

4. jaymeister

jaymeister Member

I really like the semaphore trem. Has square and sine wave, still organic, and has a volume control. I swapped it out recently for a cusack tap a whirl. It is at the other end of the spectum, with all the bells and whistles.

Do you want something more amp like, swampy and vintage, or more modern clean and able to do choppy? Knowing that might help with responses.

5. Jon@Home

Jon@Home Member

I like the Pigtronix Tremvelope, expression pedal ready. I prefer a EP over tap for Tremelo.. A little pricey, but good sound and features imho.

6. midwayfair

midwayfair Member

This is hopelessly vague. What are you looking for it to do? What sound is in your head that you couldn't achieve?

Why does it have to be "simple"? You aren't required to twist knobs just because they're on the pedal. If it makes one sound you like but has more controls that you use on a regular basis, you're allowed to leave the knobs alone.

7. 9520575

9520575 Member

I owned one, I liked it. But I really the dr. scientist has been the best I've played. I can't think of another feature I would really need. The pigtronix, ads a little bit of gain, coloring your tone a tad, plus it doesn't have stereo inputs. The tremolessence has the nice volume knob, to add or decrease gain to your liking, plus the treble knob, is very handy to have. I find it one of the most useful aspects of the pedal. Another bonus, stereo ins and outs, which is nice. No it can't be controlled with an envelope like the tremvelope, but you can control the rate via an expression pedal, which to me is just fine for when I want to ramp the speed up and down in a phrase. I personally don't find much use for a tap tempo tremolo, I'd rather change the rate via an expression pedal IF need be, or just turn the knob. I also own a goatkeeper, and I must say I don't like dealing with a tap tempo, But thats just my thing, dosen't mean anything. When looking for a tremolo, I'm more concered with features, what do you want and what would be the most useful to you. I found that a cheap, simple tremolo sounds just as nice as a three hundred dollar tremolo. Its all a matter of wanting/needing all the bells and whistles. If I just wanted a simple sine wave tremolo, I would opt for a TR2. If you want to try something interesting the tremvelope is a neat get (but I found myself shutting off the envelope most of the time due to lack of precise control of the rate.) The Tremolessence just has all the right features FOR ME: panning, synced dual mono tremolo, mono tremolo, square wave form, triangle, ramp up wave form, ramp down wave form, treble boost or cut, volume boost or cut, momentary switch, CV control over the depth, expression control for the rate, 9 volt or 18 volt operations. Plus I will say I've never had better customer service then dealing with Ryan at Dr. Scientist.

I also made this video comparing the tremvelope, goatkeeper, tremolessence, rfx panelo (really cheap tremolo), and a prototype of the trembling ho. be forewarned I'm not the best player, I used a practice amp, and its my camera's mic. Anyway: CLICK THIS

8. Modulator

Modulator Member

What didn't you like about the Empress Tremolo? I have one, works great. But I do prefer the tremolo built into my amp (power tube tremolo, love watching the tubes dance in rhythm witt the trem.).

Maybe you want an amp with a tube tremolo built in, and trying to fix the itch with a pedal?

9. picbiff

picbiff Member

I guess more amp like.. swampy and vintage

10. picbiff

picbiff Member

I understand I can leave the knobs alone. I'm looking for a smooth, vintage, amp "built in" tremolo.

11. picbiff

picbiff Member

It sounded good, just more than what I want out of a tremolo. I'm trying not to have to buy a new amp haha.. but that would be a quick fix

12. dangeroso

dangeroso Member

I went though a few before ending up with the Supa Trem by Fulltone. It doesn't have many bells and whistles (like tap tempo), but sounded the most like an old Fender amp trem to me.

You might give it a whirl.

13. joe_k

joe_k Member

a good old boss tr-2 is great. if you get it modded then it quickly turns into one of the better trems out there.

check out the Looker.

14. hybridrocknroll

hybridrocknroll Member

Very interested in this thread. I had a Keeley modded TR-2 for a long time, but it seemed like even with the vol. boost mod it was still a tone sucker.

I'm looking personally for something that's really versatile that goes from smooth, vibey, into swampy and warm, up into choppy. The whole gamut I suppose. The Dr. Scientist has tons of knobs, but I want to cover a lot of ground. Going off of recommendations on here and YouTube demos. Want one to fill this open spot (nothing too gigantic):
    [​IMG]

Any help is appreciated!

15. freaksho

freaksho Member

Diamond. vintage & warm (sine wave or shark fin), choppy (nearly square wave), or super choppy (actual square wave, iow on/off). tap tempo, double speed and some crazy rhythmic stuff i don't use, including a random chaotic rhythm.

i debated for a long time between the Diamond and the Empress. there are a zillion threads comparing these two since they are the same price, same size, similar features and equally stellar reputations - plenty of diehards in both camps to be sure. i like that the Empress has more tap division choices (Diamond is limited to 1/4 and 1/8 notes), but i believed everyone that said the Diamond was warmer and more natural feeling. and i haven't needed a 1/16 note division yet - really, when it's that fast you probably don't need it to be tap accurate anyway.

when i'm playing around i like puting it in on/off chop mode with random chaos rhythm. add some heavy reverb and it sounds like some WWI communications officer was sucked into some time-bending vortex and is making a desperate plea for help via Morse Code.

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  16. yerbluesrob

yerbluesrob Supporting Member

Try the Monster Effects Swamp Thang, one of my favorites.

17. AParrotLooksAt4O

AParrotLooksAt4O Member

Its gets little mention (except from me) but the Seymour Duncan Shape Shifter is a phenomenal tap trem that is ultra versatile. You could probably find one used for around $150 give or take. Its top notch.

18. AParrotLooksAt4O

AParrotLooksAt4O Member

The Seymour Duncan Shape Shifter does all that. Subtle and sweet to Vietnam chopper effects and all stops in between. Even has tap subdivisions if needed.