help with tru oil

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by gayler, Jan 31, 2008.

1. gayler

gayler Member

Can anyone give me some tips on how to use tru oil? Wipe on or spray, pore filler or not, how many coats, ect...

2. Clutch21286

Clutch21286 Member

Wipe on with your fingers! Of course it would help if we knew what you using it for.

3. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

I wouldn't use my bare fingers. I've heard of guys getting headaches, nausea etc.. for a few days after using it and doing it like that.

4. gayler

gayler Member

It's for an alder tele body.

5. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

If you use paper towels or rags be sure to put them in a bucket of water or store them outside, don't want a fire.

6. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

Alder, no filler needed. Wipe on with lint-free rag, use multiple thin coats until you like what you see. Allow to dry overnight for each coat. You may want as many as 10 coats. Do a light sanding in between if you notice any roughness. Use a normal final sand/buff if needed after the last coat. Pretty simple and easy to get good results. Durable finish, after all it's normally used on gunstocks! Avoid too much contact with skin or use gloves.

7. brewbaker

brewbaker Supporting Member

I just finished an alder body and would agree with above post except I did two coats a night and sanded with 0000 steel wool after every four coats. I did ten total and then a final steel wool. But the the thing that made the look I was after--not too glossy, more like satin--was buffing it with MacGuiars (sp?) Mirror Glaze No 7 after the last steel wool. The top was walnut and I treated it the same way.

8. in a little row

in a little row Member

My pop made gunstocks for years and years...he swore by cotton boxer shorts and plastic brillo pads for sanding...steel wool left a bit too much residue and a bit harsh...

j