HELP with tube change!

vladorg

Supporting Member
Messages
2,431
Hi guys,
I'm trying to change the tubes in my Mesa DC 5 amp so I had Bob Pletka from www.eurotubes.com send me a full set of JJ's for my DC 5 - 6 12AX7's and 2 6L6GC's. The problem is that one of the 12AX7's that he sent me is labeled as a balanced tube for the phase inverter?!?!?Here's my question-does anyone know which slot is for the phase inverter(imagine that the 12AX7 tubes are six in line #1 being the one closest to the input jack)?Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!Thanks in advance,

Vlad
 

VaughnC

Supporting Member
Messages
17,671
Originally posted by vladorg
Hi guys,
I'm trying to change the tubes in my Mesa DC 5 amp so I had Bob Pletka from www.eurotubes.com send me a full set of JJ's for my DC 5 - 6 12AX7's and 2 6L6GC's. The problem is that one of the 12AX7's that he sent me is labeled as a balanced tube for the phase inverter?!?!?Here's my question-does anyone know which slot is for the phase inverter(imagine that the 12AX7 tubes are six in line #1 being the one closest to the input jack)?Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!Thanks in advance,

Vlad
While I'm not intimately familiar with the DC5, generally speaking, due to the typical signal flow in a guitar amp, the phase inverter tube is usually the one that's nearest to the output tubes.
 

vladorg

Supporting Member
Messages
2,431
Originally posted by VaughnC
While I'm not intimately familiar with the DC5, generally speaking, due to the typical signal flow in a guitar amp, the phase inverter tube is usually the one that's nearest to the output tubes.
Thanks for the reply Vaughn,here's teh problem though-I've heard that also but the tube layout on the DC 5 makes the first 6L6(closer to input jack) over 12AX7 #2 and the second 6L6 almost over 12AX7 #4 and in between is 12AX7 #3. So?!?
 

vladorg

Supporting Member
Messages
2,431
It's all figured out now-it was teh V6 preamp tube.the furthest awy from the input jack and certainly not the closest to the power tubes.This amp now sings BTW.I almost had forgotten how much Mesa tubes sucked and the JJ's rocked:dude
 

GreenTea

Member
Messages
967
For my Traynor YCV-40, the "balanced" 12ax7 is the farthest preamp tube from the power tubes. Call Bob or check the schmatic for your amp.
 

vladorg

Supporting Member
Messages
2,431
Originally posted by skeltone
For my Traynor YCV-40, the "balanced" 12ax7 is the farthest preamp tube from the power tubes. Call Bob or check the schmatic for your amp.
Hey skeltone,
pretty much the same applies to the DC-5.Like I said before it is all fixed now.Thanks,

Vlad
 




Trending Topics

Top