help with video uploads

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by spindlergallery, Feb 13, 2006.

1. spindlergallery

spindlergallery Supporting Member

can anyone help me with vid. upload. Want to share some video with all but after compressing file It is still 400mb. How do I make it small enough to upload? do I need compression software? Best sites to upload? etc...any advice and direction would be much appreciated... Thanks Tim...cu

2. mavrick10_2000

mavrick10_2000 Member

What software are you using to create capture the video to PC format? (Adobe Premier?) You may be capturing in raw video format now, and with audio the files can get large quickly - Although it's great for preserving the video and audio quality compared to the original.

The key to using compression is in the video codec that you choose. .WMV (Microsofts Windows Codec), QT (Apple Quicktime format) .mpg (Mpeg Layer 4) and real player seem to have the best compression ratios and are the most common with .mpg and .wmv being the most common in the PC world without losing a noticable amount of the video or audio quality. Most video capture / conversion software has built in codecs or can use them from other programs on your computer if they're already installed. Or you can go to Microsoft, Apple etc and download the latest video codecs.

Another item to consider is what is the capture size of the video for display/playback? 320x200 will shave off some size, but then again it can be a pretty small viewable window. Perhaps 640x480 would be the best compromise. Google has YouTube for video uploads I believe, I'm not sure about any others.

3. spindlergallery

spindlergallery Supporting Member

thanks so much Bob... I just loaded studio6 by Ulead, Its a old program about 4years old... I tried sony image mix that came with my Vio in 2001 but it wouldnt capture the sound with the vid. It says .avi after the file name??? should I be able to change that? couldnt c where to do this..So I should check to see if I can capture vid with diff. codec...ie wmv etc? If not than download codec to pc? Then when I compress or zip the file it should compress more??? Thanks again Bob for your help..Tim

4. mavrick10_2000

mavrick10_2000 Member

Hmmmm......Well .avi is definitely going to make a large file. I used one of the Ulead products - too many years ago to remember the options, but when you choose to save a file there should be several different options, see if you have the .mpg option from there. It might also be a setting for default save as under options or something similar.

Something else you might be able to do is look for a free utility called avi2mpg. That was back in the WIN95 days when DOS was still somewhat DOS, So I'm not really sure if you find that copy that it will run under Win2K or XP but it's worth a shot. It will convert, compress your avi vid to .mpg, it will significantly shrink the file although I don't remember exactly what the ratio was, I believe it was more than 4:1 which should bring the file size down below 100Mb. Zipping the file isn't going to save you muchspace, because video with audio is fairly efficient in the way the file is written to disk (unlike MS Access DB files).