help with voodoo child

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by scot88, Jan 23, 2008.

1. scot88

scot88 Member

I'm having trouble with the first rhythm part of Voodoo Child. The part I'm talking about is right after Jimi turns of the wah. I can't get the rhythm of that part down. Does anyone have a video of that with a close-up on the hands? Or maybe a slowed down version?

2. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

3. The Captain

The Captain Member

Try the transcription on www.sheetmusicdirect.us (no affiliation). There is a lot of grace notes there, which may have been transcribed as full note value notes on a tab, which would be very confusing.
    I think they would be very hard on see on vision, the finger movements are very quick and subtle.

(Note the application of basic theory there. Need to know what a grace note is, hey !!)

4. ChickenLover

ChickenLover Member

Might as well start with the song title; it's Voodoo Chile.

It's played in the open position. You can probably figure out all the open low E-strings so I won't bother with those. Other than that: 3rd string second fret...bend it up a full-step...then release the bend...then release the string to an open G...then to the 4th string second fret (all that happens fairly fast). Then open low E...then 6th string 3rd fret (G, you can bend this up a bit if you want)...then 4th string second fret. Lather, rinse, repeat. That's the basic basics of it.

5. ChickenLover

ChickenLover Member

Also, FWIW, this song sounds pretty simple/basic and in many ways it is but I hear many, many really good players still not get it right (me included...except for the 'really' good part ;)). IMO, Jimi was an outstanding rhythm player and copping some of the rhythm/funk he has in his playing isn't easy. The thing I always liked most about Jimi was his rhythm playing...the rhythm just flowed out of the man.

6. Kappy

Kappy Member

7. MikeyST

MikeyST Member

I really like SRV's version.

When Stevie is just doing pull-offs with his left hand and his right hand is not involved...( Sorry for the bad description...but hes sort of starting high oon the fretboard and doing multiple pull-offs down the neck on one string)

Is it just becaseu his amp is cranked that hes able to do that?