Help!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by muddy, May 28, 2008.

1. muddy

muddy Member

i know they're all comPLETEly diff, but what would you guys go for, & why (between what i am now going to list):

Fuchs ods50slx (that scott modded)
    splawn quick rod
    demeter tga 2.75
    vht sig-x
    peterson dual ch jobbie
    Kafel s150

ml

2. muddy

muddy Member

anyone? i'm really struggling here.

ml

3. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

I don't own any of those amps - nor have I played any of them in person. But, a few are from very different sides of the tone spectrum. What kinds of tones are you going for?

4. muddy

muddy Member

what i'm looking for is something that allows me to sound like me, without any hindrances due to lack of, or poorly designed features. what i really want doesn't exist. i've listed amps that i THINK will get me there without limiting me sonically. so i don't want a "what do you think is better" response. i want to know what YOU guys think of them.

ml

5. guitarded_1

guitarded_1 Supporting Member

Never heard of Peterson. Do you mean Peters?

6. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I've owned my Fuchs for about 5 years now (a moderately early Bandmaster mod) and I love what it does. It's not a vintage amp (I have lots of those and they're great in their own right). It has a stronger attack (like many modern amps) but also a smooth sustain. Lots of flexibility with boosts, channel switching, effects loop and reverb. For a modern amp, you can't go wrong. Most of your other choices are variations on the more traditional amp styles. I've played the Splawn and the VHT, great amps but not offering something I can't get elsewhere. The Kafel is a pretty idiosyncratic amp and probably NOT available used, so if you can't try it out in Chicago at his shop, I'd definitely pass. The others are out there, if you buy used and don't like, you can sell without a huge loss... For my money, though, I'd start with the Fuchs...

7. muddy

muddy Member

i hear ya. a rockytop magic 100od became a choice, but after initial contact, the guy seems to be ignoring me, which does NOT bode well re any kind of support (especially for a completely unknown amp). torny keeps telling me to try the sig-x, but other than his, i don't have access to one. u-u-g-g-g-h-h-h-h.....

ml[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][/FONT]

8. Melj

Melj Member

No Sig:Xs in NYC?

Worth seeking out, I think.

9. guitardr

guitardr Silver Supporting Member

Get the Fuchs...why?
    Andy's not far from you (Jersey)
    nifty loop, tweakable, etc.
    Your list is really desirable, but for resale and other considerations: stick with the Fuchs.

10. muddy

muddy Member

i don't really buy equipment for it's resale value. i'm more than happy to go with an unknown if the builder's heart is really invested in his product. the bottom line is, i want tone & features that allow me to not have to devise methods involving bits of string, glue & band-aids (if that makes sense) to configger my signal path the way i see fit.

ml

11. zzmoore

zzmoore Member

I'd be curious to know what amp(s) you are playing now and why you are dissatisfied with them.

12. muddy

muddy Member

i wasn't dissatisfied at all. i just need 2ch's w/switching, separate eq (if poss), more headroom, ss recty (ss/valve MUCH better), more versatile tonally... i HATED having to sell my soultone. it's one of the best amps i've ever owned. the lead tone was MONSTROUS! very cello-like. but it's time for something new. my playing isn't limited, nor dependent on ANY one amp.

anyway,, 2 more to the list:

koch multitone 50w
    cae od50
    & ixnay on the rockytop 100od

ml

13. scottl

scottl Member

Muddy, you are always welcome to come by for a fun day of soldering. I bet we can dial in the Fuchs to be perfect for you.

14. homerayvaughan

homerayvaughan Member

I haven't played any of them - chances are you'll sound like you no matter what you play through. Go try them out. I really see no other way around it. I have 2 Fenders and a Naylor, and while they sound different I still sound like me. Does that make sense?

15. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

Hey...you got my e- mail right? If not my pick would be the Sig X.

16. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

I own the Fuchs TDS 100. It is truly an awesome amp. The VHT Sig X is a close second. It comes close to the beautiful cleans of the Fuchs. The OD channels of the VHT are more versatile than the Fuchs, but what the Fuchs puts out overall is amazing.

17. Burst59

Burst59 Member

Get the Fuchs, I'm the proud owner of a HT ODS 100 and I love it.
    None of those other amps interest me so it's a no brainer especially if Scott worked on it.

18. gsf

gsf Member

If you want only one amp and If you still have all the pedals that could take an SMF to Marshall-land, I'd lean toward the 6v6/6l6 cleans ---FUCHS. I LOVE the PETERS sounds -every one I've heard, and he keeps getting better, yet his cleans are definitely Marshally clean in character imho. If there were pedals that could take marshalls to fender cleans, then I'd go Peters (so you could have both). My solution is 6v or 6l for one side of tone (several Fenders - and Peters for all el34 apps, both clean and dirty.) for the other side of the coin.

19. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Sig:X, no hesitation.

20. Burst59

Burst59 Member

No offense but what the **** did you just try to say?