Helpful tips for playing live.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by aussie_gear_maestro, Sep 13, 2019.

1. aussie_gear_maestro

aussie_gear_maestro Member

Hey everyone I've just secured a position in a well established gigging band as you know all know playing covers you need to cover Alot of sonic territory and ALWAYS be in tune.

I'm seeking advice so I can be at my best.

Tonally I use a Fuchs amp through a custom shop 59 Strat so the sounds are awesom but (although my channel switching is not working causing headaches) I'm having to cover Alot of tones/O.ds

Utilising the volume knob on the guitar while juggling playing /soloing jumping on chorus and delays pedals it's Alot to take upon in order to make sure the sound is right.

Does anyone use multiple o.d pedals or multiple channel amps to make this easier?

NicDo and eclecticsynergy like this.
  2. Flogger59

Flogger59 Member

I have (in order) a comp, a fuzz, a light OD and a MIAB. Mixing and matching gets me my tones.

The comp boosting the light OD sounds different when it boosts the fuzz or the MIAB. The fuzz always goes through either distortion, usually the OD. The light OD into the MIAB is brighter than the comp boosting it.

That's how I go from mild to wild with all stops in between.

Jimmy3Fingers and supergenius365 like this.
  3. pb-272

pb-272 Member

I use a 3 channel amp and a line6 helix, easy peasy

derekd and sleewell like this.
  4. aussie_gear_maestro

What the hell is the go with fuzz pedals , they are soooo popular these days.

By the way taking in consideration my Fuchs amp has a killer clean channel would it be a good idea putting a nice clean uncompressed O.d on that channel too in order to have my dirty channel and clean channel pedal o.d???

Also delay how are all you using yours

And does anyone use pedlas in a loop to control multiple .

Talk about spending money! lol.

5. aussie_gear_maestro

Does anyone find utilising the volume/tone on guitar up and down to suit taste distraction when your trying to play, entertain and stomp on pedals .

I've only played jazz live so I'm used to getting a nice clean sound and stick with it all night .

6. Aslan

Aslan Silver Supporting Member

You may want to consider a Katana 100 Head if you have a cabinet already, this way you would have 8 presets at the touch of the foot switch and if that isn't enough it has MIDI capabilities where you have unlimited number of presets.

My band does a lot of different styles of music and I get by with a pedal train nano board with 3 strymon pedals: Riverside, Flint and El Capistan, I place a Fulltone Wah in front of these and I have a simple rig that gives a multitude of different sounds, a cheaper route would be to get the new version #2 of the Tech 21 Fly Rig 5, I'm amazed every time I use it at how good it sounds and how versatile it is.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  7. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Member

Yes. I get most of my dynamics changes with presets and snapshots on the Helix rather than the volume/tone knobs. That's a preference thing.... figure out what works for you.

8. JonSick

JonSick Member

Mainly metal orientated:

- New strings at least every 10 hours of playing. My sets do two shows maximum
    - Full stack. Nothing has made me happier as a live player than going back to a full stack. I can hear myself no matter the monitoring conditions and the whole guitar sound is opened up
    - Wear your band's shirt on stage. It was OK for Jason Newstead, no better way of letting an audience knowing what band you are. And it's not pretentious, it's just advertising.
    - Select a side of the stage and stick to it. Keep your format and build your comfort there. I'm happiest stage right, it works the best for me.
    - Image matters no matter what. Whether you are going for the clean and polished look or the torn-down look, find your stage-wear and own it. Go shopping, get accoutrements, get your look sorted out. The lead persons' matters the most, but you still need to keep consistent.

MkIII Renegade likes this.
  9. aussie_gear_maestro

I'm young but very vintage player at heart killer amp killer guitar cable and a couple of pedals.

Not because thats the way it should be but the sound is very very good and I try to really focus on the song , groove what solo tricks I'm gonna chuck in (so I keep my job by impressing people lol)

Maybe I don't have the omni awareness of others on the stage but I have fun lol.

10. aussie_gear_maestro

I agree with a full stack or a well made buzz fieten cab that sounds as big as a full stack.

The sound is bigger bolder and the projection and thump really rocks out

11. aussie_gear_maestro

Lol and here's my playing with a 7 watt amp (that has a 65 watt warehouse speaker) lol sounds dam fine though.

Well it's all about money .

12. sleewell

sleewell Member

I'm not in a cover band but this is my setup as well. probably the happiest I have ever been. With the helix your imagination is the only thing that will limit you, if you can think it up the helix can make it happen.

13. ToneDeVille

ToneDeVille Member

I use a Strat and AC20 amp with a Z Drive pedal, which gives me two different overdrives in addition to the drive from the amp. Between the guitar vol control, amp, and the pedal I can get a variety of subtle to extreme. I stopped using chorus and delay years ago so it's just the one pedal now and it works great for classic rock covers.

14. metropolis_4

metropolis_4 Member

Feeling the way you're feeling is a big part of why so many are switching to digital gear. It gives so much more flexibility to create the exact tones you want for every song in your setlist, and the ability to switch instantly between complex sounds with a single press of a button. If you find riding your guitar volume knob distracting, you can just set up your sounds to change input gain at the amp for each preset.

Judging by what you've said, it's something worth considering.

That being said, it can be done with traditional gear. I spent many many years of hard gigging with a Strat, 2 pedals (OD and delay), and a single channel amp. During that time I covered tons of material in all sorts of different genres.

In live work, it's about 95% what you play and about 5% tone and gear:

• If you have the perfect tone with the perfect boutique gear, but play the wrong notes, people will notice in a bad way
    • If you play the notes perfectly, but just sort of approximate the tone with whatever gear is available, people will notice in a good way!

blueprint, andy474x, Tootone and 3 others like this.
  15. YYZ

YYZ Supporting Member

One can geek out at home and get all the tones. Stomp on this pedal here, ride the volume there, a little tone for good measure. But I find a lot of that goes out the window when you play at volume with the rest of the band, and even more so when you play live. Try to keep it simple. In the audience I'd rather hear on time and in tune playing than the subtle wisp of an MXR 90 phaser but you missed the intro to your lead or whatever 'cause you were fumbling with gear. Lastly, it's a job but have fun :beer.

16. dazco

dazco Member

When i started i used channel switching amps and relied on that and pedals. I then started using single channels amps or dual but using only one channel and use the old school method of riding my volume knob for clean to scream, which of course requires an amp that does that well. My only pedal is a model in my modeling amp that i use to pound the input for hi gain needs when called for. I just find this method much simpler so no constant thinking about what pedal to use at any given moment or song etc. It's just more natural and i am able to concentrate on playing rather then having to be 1/2 player 1/2 gear pilot. The volume pot riding and pickup selection also gets me tones i can't get other ways so even tho simpler to my mind i get better and more compliant sounds.

If u are new to that maybe your issue is you just haven't done it long enough? I'd say give it a chance and also check out other amps and see if your is or isn;'t optimal for that type of use. Some clean up far better then others. Also a treble bleed in the guitar can be crucial to getting it right so that it;s easy to get a lot of good usable variation from your volume pot. Cleans that are clean enough and on 10 enough gain for most things, then a clean boost to take it further when needed. Thats what works for me anyways. I was never able to nail every sound i needed at a given moment in every song with multiple pedals and channel switching, not to mention how much more it saps your concentration having to be a tap dancer while trying to play or even play and sing.

17. metropolis_4

metropolis_4 Member

That's another really good point, and something I'm sure we can all relate to. How many times have we all thought we had the perfect tone dialed in, only to get to the gig and realize it didn't work at all with the band mix? And then dial in the tone that fits pefectly in the band mix, and get home and find it sounds TERRIBLE on its own! haha :D

andy474x and Tootone like this.
  18. rickt

rickt Gold Supporting Member

I've jettisoned my pedals and went back to my way-back method of guitar-->cable-->amp. I adjust the amp gain and volume controls for the amount of distortion I need and the maximum volume for the venue. Then adjust the guitar volume for clean, pushed gain, etc. Depending on the guitar, I might have to adjust the tone control on the guitar. But, I typically don't play any heavy metal or music that demands a huge amount of gain.

FlyingPickle likes this.
  19. CjRuckus

CjRuckus Member

I try to keep my setup as simple as possible. I scaled down from a dual rec with a switcher and four cable method to a helix.

I spend less time setting up and more time playing plus my sound is consistent in the band room and at most venues. To me nothing makes me feel out of place more than reaching a gig and realizing that something doesn't feel right with my sound. I obsess over it and then don't have a good time on stage.

So the digital revolution has made my life easy also if I need to get a different sound for something in the set... I don't have to buy anything new and rewire and entire board. That saves me time.

20. MkIII Renegade

MkIII Renegade Member

Fifth of Jack Daniels 2 hrs before showtime. :drink