Helping a Co-Worker-NGD

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by TKIV, Jan 5, 2019.

1. TKIV

TKIV Member

Last strat I owned I sold in 2002 in order to pay rent. I also sold a Les Paul and a Chet Atkins that year, it was rough.

Picked up this 2008 American Standard on a whim to help out a guy I worked with that was selling it to make rent. I told him he could have it back for what I paid at any time.

I did a similar thing for my best friend ten years ago and bought a 1970 Gibson J-50 Deluxe, which I still own.

I got a deal and he has a reacquisition plan should he want to go that route. I sold my guitars to Guitar Center. Back then, you didn't have the resources that we have today and I needed the money immediately. I sold those for 30-40% of what they were worth at the time. I'd give anything to have that specific LP back.

I wouldn't have picked out this specific guitar, but I'm enjoying it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Considering putting on a vintage white or mint pick guard, what are your thoughts?

2. Hawk3y3

Hawk3y3 Supporting Member

I think you’re a great friend is what I think. And yeah, mint all the way

HammyD, TKIV and Hackdog69 like this.
  3. scmavl

scmavl Enjoyer Silver Supporting Member

Good on you. And I actually love the look of that Strat. :aok

TKIV likes this.
  4. Lonnie00

Lonnie00 Member

Give it back to him and let him keep the money. :cool:

TKIV likes this.
  5. ffoont

ffoont Member

You're mighty generous with his money

OP, on that guitar I'd stick with black. But either way that as a cool thing to do for a guy in a pinch.

TKIV likes this.
  6. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

Problem is he would turn around and sell it to someone else.

TKIV likes this.
  7. TKIV

TKIV Member

He is someone that I work with, not a friend (ie we don't hang out, jam, etc...). I'm not hurting, but I'm also not a benefactor. He was very appreciative.

8. Lonnie00

Lonnie00 Member

Just a suggestion. I sold all my gear to fund my divorce many years ago so I know about needing $$$. You did the guy a solid.

TKIV likes this.
  9. misterturtlehead

misterturtlehead Member

A few years ago a bass player friend called me up asking me if I knew of anywhere he could sell his 1967 Epiphone Riviera. I told him of the place that would be most likely to buy it. The place was near me. So he brought the Riviera to my house so I could look it over and make sure everything was in good working order. Instead of him taking the Riviera to that place I took some of my stuff to that place and I bought the Riviera.

I liked the guitar a lot and played it for awhile. It was one of the guitars in my regular gigging rotation. I didn't plan on getting rid of it until a cat I know who has a guitar store asked me if I had any guitars to sell. I did not. But he had a guitar I was very interested in but could not afford to buy- a 1957 Gibson Les Paul TV Model. I traded the Riviera and a few less valuable guitars for the TV Model and a 1999 Les Paul R6.

TKIV likes this.
  10. TKIV

TKIV Member

Great story man! My best friend has never brought up my still owning the J-50. I think it could be that we like the idea of our friends and families playing our instruments. He's doing really well these days and owns a Longboarding company (skateboards). I have one of his decks. Obviously its from his company, but its also one that he skated for a long time. It means more to me because he put the first miles on it.

11. stratman89

stratman89 Supporting Member

Can't go wrong with either vintage white or mint.

TKIV likes this.
  12. Bigzig

Bigzig Member

Great thing to do... helping out family or friend. Nice guitar also!

TKIV likes this.