Helping a lady find a Strat - Classic Player 60s????

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by 1973Marshall, Jun 5, 2008.

1. 1973Marshall

1973Marshall Member

My lady wants a Strat. We were trying them the other day and I pulled down an SRV and a Classic Player 60s. She was immediately taken with the feel and tone of the CP60s.

She also liked the color (Sonic Blue):banana:banana

Sooooooooooooooo is that the way to go? I felt the pickups sounded great and the fit and finish were nice. I got the impression the 12" radius would help her by making it smoother or easier to play.

So if a girl needed ONE Strat, she is getting into playing styles from pop ro rock, some novice leads, and she wants a single guitar she can keep adn grow with - IS THIS THE ONE? OR Look elsewhere / spend a little more?

What say ye?

2. supar6

supar6 Member

I think the Classic Player 60's is a great guitar for the $$$. The pups are great and the fit and feel for a $600.00 guitar is great! Although... if she is into more pop/rock vs blues I might look at a Tele for her. She may look better playing it and have more of a rock vibe than the strat. Just an opinion obviously. Check out a Baja Tele - which in my opinion is the Classic Player equivilent. Both excellent first guitars.

3. Strat

Strat Member

how about a '64 ( -ish - never checked ) Daphne blue mint dousonic ?

4. TanquerayCowboy

TanquerayCowboy Senior Member

Seems you already have the answer.

5. fishlog

fishlog Member

wait..no wait....wait a minuet....JUST WAIT A GOSH DARN MINUTE!!!

YOUR girl plays guitar and therefore supports your habit?

I nominate you for man of the year for finding such a woman.

6. 1973Marshall

1973Marshall Member

Yeah, and she's quite a looker - long, tall, blonde. We have been doing some gigs together. The fun is, I get to use her Taylor 314ce when she isn't playing with me hehehe. If she gets a Fender Deluxe Reverb, I'll get to add that to the studio arsenal as well. :dude I should add I offered her one of my Strats to use, but she clearly wants her own hehe.

She likes pop and rock, but is into a lot of what the boys like as well. As much as she can do a radio pop song and accompany herself, she does a sweet version of Maggie May while playing (been doing it live).

She is in the "biting off more than she can chew phase" and wants to learn bits of Cliffs of Dover, but thankfully she is focused (re: I have been pushing) on some basic blues and the intro to Wish You Were Here. Obviously, she needs a versatile axe she can grow with.

I figure a Strat is the way to go, but I will definitely talk to her about Teles now. I kinda thought the Classic Player was the way to go, though Fender Japan, and the Fender AV62RI or Hot Rod AV62 was intriguing as well. Like I said before, I don't think she bonded with the SRV.

Thankfully she is tall, so I don't think she needs to look into a Bonnie Raitt or any of the "smaller" guitars, but I figured someone with a daughter (or significant other) who has done some guitar shopping might chime in.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2008
  7. Free

Free Member

Highway One is what you want!!