Helping a TGP brother/ Lentz content

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by fishleehooker, Jul 8, 2017.

1. fishleehooker

fishleehooker Supporting Member

Hey guys and gals. Hope the Summer is well. I wanna take a moment of your time, to tell you about a fundraiser that me and a few other TGP brothers are doing for EsotericPete. First, I think it is important to point out that I don't know EsotericPete on a personal level at all, and second, this started very spontaneously and organically. It was first pointed out in this thread:
    https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/lentz-question-tele-or-hsl.1831276/
    , that Pete had to have brain surgery, and was out of work for some time. Long enough that he sold off his collection of guitars, and particularly 4 Lentzes that I personally have mind-groped myself. This year, I had talked to Scott Lentz about recreating the white DL90, as seen in the pics in that thread (on the next page in the thread). So, after Pete pointed out he had to sell these guitars that I had admired, I went about my day, but was very troubled. Maybe we all have to do the same thing someday, right? Medical bills can rack up, people gotta work, etc. I have had a good year, getting a few different guitars that I had ordered in the past. So I was sittin pretty; and here is Pete missin his babies.
    So, in my totally gear and music addled mind, I thought, "Fudge that stuff, man. I can spare a few coins for a fellow gearhead, particularly one that has put that gear to good work. Pete has close friends and family, one hopes, that helped him with more basic needs, but I'm a damn music and gear-aholic, and I am gonna help this cat get a Lentz again. I'm gonna give Pete 200 bucks." So I posted that. And......TGP members have come out and done the same. TGP takes a bad rap and there is some negative stuff on here. But there are good people I have met and people that will remain at least "friends" for a long time, I hope.

So far contributions have been verbalized by: Unseen Hand, Teleplayer, Freeblues, Suckamc is gonna do some lessons and kick that in (details later there), Stevo57, theanthonyV, dapa78, Bluestar, Chinstrap, and Scott Lentz Jr and Sr. Depending on contributions, that is $2000 give or take. If we raise another 1000-1500, we can either get Pete his old off white DL90, as OpenG has kindly offered to sell it back, or get Pete a new or used Lentz. Depending on $$ raised, and what is available.

I have never set up a Gofundme thing, so if anyone knows the ins and outs, I'd love a heads-up on that. I can set it up, but just seeing if anyone knows more?

I wanna point out that I, and many listed above just threw out that we'd give 200, but you can give as little and as much as you'd like. Even a small donation is great, and would pay it forward. Let's move TGP back in the right direction. Being a valued member here, can have its own perks.

Mods: Forgive me if this is in the wrong section or taboo. I think, knowing EsotericPete, Lentz, myself and the others as you do,that we are all on the up and up on this. I'd do it for others too. Once Dana Olsen chimed in about the Curtis Mayflower thing, it doubly legitimized this, I feel.

Last: Pete, when we get you this guitar, pics, thoughts, vids, etc. We would love it. Make some glorious music and play it loud.

If you can contribute, post on here and once the gofundme is established, I will add that link.
    Thanks.

Tramp, Gilky, Baemer and 5 others like this.
  2. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Silver Supporting Member

As stated earlier, brother, count me in. Two hungee it is.

Just let me know the mechanics of making it happen. We need to get Brother Pete back in the Lentz game again.

Pay it forward.

3. shally

shally Member

I have been blessed beyond anything I could ever deserve. I have been humbled and been restored although I did nothing to merit it. Paying it forward or back is what turns my crank. I am in

4. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

I had no idea about Pete. I was out of work for 1.5 months this year, but am now back working.

Mine was not health related. I cannot imagine what Pete has been through. Not sure of the amount, but I will contribute. Just let me know how.

5. unseen hand

unseen hand Member

I'm in.. I'll keep an eye out for a go fund me

6. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Member

you guys!

im humbled by this whole thing. i cant really put into words how moved i am that forum bros would band together like this. simply amazing, and you guys are incredible.

i had been feeling terrible for quite some time - but had passed it off as stress, and anxiety, etc. i had been getting headaches for about a year that were quite different than what i was familiar with. we've all had headaches before...they pulsate, and usually some tylenol and a little lay-down-with-the-eyes-closed for a few helps and they go away. this was not the case for me and it seemed to have come out of the blue. i was in a job i didnt like, and felt pretty miserable about that so thats why i figured it was stress induced. i tried acupuncture, chiro (thinking maybe my back or neck was out, giving me the headaches) but they just didnt go away.

after some months of this, stuff really started to get weird. my left eye seemed to be slightly blurry at first (i have so-so eyesight so i thought, maybe my age was catching up with me and my eyes were getting worse, as my dads did) but as the weeks passed, the blurry vision got worse in that left eye. called the eye doc, they had a look, said everything seemed fine and that i should be wearing my glasses...eventually that eye went what i would call "white blind" meaning basically my right eye was fine but it was like a bright white light was right in front of my left eye only. the headaches ramped up and i had left work early a bunch due to the headaches and id go home and lay in bed with the worst head pain towards the back of my neck and head and this started to get accompanied by fierce vomiting. (i had actually begun getting seizures during the vomiting episodes, but had no idea!)

i ended up in the local ER and basically they wouldnt let me leave until they figured everything out. my blood sodium was SO very low that it was causing the seizures and that was a big red flag for them. they did a ton of tests - a lower lumbar punture (or "spinal tap" to check my spinal fluid for MS) many blood tests, and finally, an MRI. after the MRI the neurologist came in and told me they had found a mass in my brain. to say i was shocked was an understatement, as after they told me, i passed out in the bed and woke up with about 10 docs/nurses in the room and i was completely soaked in sweat (in the matter on seconds, literally!)

long story short, i got transferred to a larger hospital in the area where they assembled a team for me and made a plan. the tumor was about 4cm and had completely engulfed my pituitary gland. the obstruction had caused my pituitary to not be able to function as it should and had caused all the issues i was experiencing. it was a slow decline for years, now that i look back on it - which is why i felt crappy for so long - but it had ramped up towards the end there, and really started making me feel like i was falling apart. the list of symptoms is too long to type, but it was just horrible overall..

within two weeks of my diagnosis, i had brain surgery. something i never imagined id go through. the procedure took 8 hours and they went though my nose (which is amazing, and im so very thankful for!) when i woke up, my family was there and i felt like i had been hit by a truck! however, they did an excellent job and im so blessed for that.. as well, among MANY other things like family, and friends, and the will and strength to heal. it was a process. i couldnt blow my nose for 3 months, had to be careful when id sneeze, and couldnt bend over (due to the pressure and possibility of a cerebral-spinal fluid leak from the two points of entry where the had to drill into my skull to get the tooling in..) and then just the pain of healing which lasted for 6-8 months.

anyway, as a result of this - you can imagine - i was out of work. we fell was behind and i had to sell things off to pay our mortgage and all the other bills. i didnt mind because i was just glad to be alive and on the road to recovery. you just do what you have to do and thats what i did. im lucky to have a supportive and caring wife and our 5 year old daughter. the rest of my family was amazing too, helping with childcare and food, stuff around the house, etc.

i have had 2 MRI's since the operation and they were clear. i have another one in sept. im back to work now and feel much better. headaches are gone. hormone levels are restored, and im getting to put it all behind us. it was scary as **** though! i wouldn't wish that upon anyone. it really put things into perspective which is why i was able to let those guitars go so easily at the time.

im glad to be here to type this, and i continue to be thankful for all the great people in my life and i approach things much differently now.

you guys are the best.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
  7. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Silver Supporting Member

Pete,

SO glad to hear you made it through and got to "the other side".

Now let's get you a Lentz!

8. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Pete's a great cat and an excellent player. We've exchanged PM's, phone calls, and traded posts on TGP. He sent me a copy of his band's CD, The Curtis Mayflower - super band and CD!

I'm definitely in to contribute. Sadly, I too know all about surprise serious medical issues - many, many folks on TGP were generous to me when I had open heart surgery in 2008, and I'm extremely pleased to be able to give back to a brother who could use the help!

We got your back, Pete! Thanks Fishleehooker for making this happen!

Thanks, Dana O.

9. Tramp

Tramp Gold Supporting Member

I'm in! I helped Pete acquire one of his Lentzes (the fabled Chip) a while back and would be happy to help hook him up again.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  10. hotpaul

hotpaul Member

In, just point me in the right direction

11. Bluestar

Bluestar Gold Supporting Member

I am in. I've pledged to Scott and Scott, Jr. directly, but thank you fishleehooker for getting this going (and I've PMed you with a bit more detail).

I also do not know esoteric pete on a personal level, but that doesn't matter at all - he has to have a Lentz in his hands, period!

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
  12. fishleehooker

Totally stoked by your contribution. :dude

superstratjunky likes this.
  13. chinstrap

chinstrap Member

I've already PM'd about this, but for the record I'm in. I know how much joy my Lentz guitars bring to me, and I'm blessed with more than I deserve, so let's pay it forward.

Petes always got a positive outlook and his posts are enjoyable reading, and you start to get a sense of the man. Plus his band kills it....I hope you guys are back to playing out and recording Pete....

When the process is figured out let me know and count me in...

14. redgold

redgold Supporting Member

Good healing Pete! I'll contribute.

fishleehooker likes this.
  15. cycler

cycler Member

Pete, glad to hear you are doing better. Hope each day gets better for you.

16. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Member

thanks everyone! im humbled by everyones generosity and dont quite know what to say. "thank you" does NOT seem like nearly enough!

ive been talking to fish and it looks like we may either call scott and spec something out, or get in touch with @openG about on of my old ones!

openG and fishleehooker like this.
  17. suckamc

suckamc Member

In, of course.

18. fishleehooker

The specs that pete sent to me as an idea he may pursue are insanely cool. I'll let him tell you, if that is indeed what he decided on. DL90 I will say though.

19. martyncrew

martyncrew Gold Supporting Member

I'd like to pitch in. Any progress on the GoFundMe? I can help if you want. Be aware, GoFundMe will cost about 8% of donated amount.

20. Jaya

Jaya Supporting Member

@fishleehooker Maybe I missed it but could you please send me a link to GoFindMe?
    I would like to give small donation.

Many luck to esoteric pete!
    Cheers