hemp speakers

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by bloozeman1, Feb 6, 2020.

1. bloozeman1

bloozeman1 Supporting Member

anybody here using hemp speakers? if so, your thought son them? Im thinking of putting a set of the tone tubby 25watt humboldts in my 66 pro reverb. Would it make it too dark? Ive never used a hemp cone before

2. Winnie Thomas

Winnie Thomas Silver Supporting Member

They can be a bit dark, but take a bit of work to get broken in. Once broken in they sound great. I have been using the Tone Tubby Chicago Blue with good results. I also tried a Silver Bullet. I have a San Rafael that is a bit darker than I like, but it has yet to be broken in.

3. ajboyd

ajboyd Member

My Siegmund Midnight Special has a 12" Tone Tubby AlNiCo hempcone. It is very "high-fi," articulate and warm, but the amp/speaker combination is voiced a little dark, and I often roll off the lows and boost the highs. I also have a 10" Tone Tubby AlNiCo hempcone in my Fender Super Champ, which is voiced in the other direction. That was a huge upgrade over the stock Jensen, IMO. I have had Celestion AlNiCo Blue and Weber Blue Dog 12" speakers in other amps, and the Tone Tubbys can definitely compete with those speakers. I also have a 15" JBL D120, which is a much brighter speaker.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  4. danfalck

danfalck Member

I have an Eminence Cannabis Rex 12" in a Princeton Reverb type amp that I built and I really like it. I play a Telecaster through it at gigs in a small bar and it has a nice tone. It does seem darker than other speakers that I've tried (Celestion V30, Celestion Greenbacks) but works well for me with that combination of guitar and amp.

Daytona57 and Billy Van Beck like this.
  5. candid_x

candid_x Supporting Member

I couldn't bond with the thuddy attack from C Rex. I can't help but think that would be the case with all hemp cones.

Steppin' Wolfe likes this.
  6. xtian

xtian Member

I've been playing an Eminence Wheelhouse 150 for a year--excellent speaker. A bit dark, but I like it a lot.

billyguitar likes this.
  7. handtrix

handtrix Member

Recommend hemp cones for those who like to play loud. That cone was designed to take beatings. If you gig with a BF or SF Fender's, that is the way to go. Trust the break-in period recommended by the company.

Daytona57 likes this.
  8. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

ime, hemp cones are punchy and immediate. my favorite speaker of all time is a tone tubby black. 60 watts, double dipped. super for classic rock style playing.

9. B00gieMK2

B00gieMK2 Member

I have a CRex and 40/40. The 40/40 seems brighter, more sparkle than the CRex. Work your amp EQ, especially Presence, high end and also bass. I also have a Purple Haze, much brighter.

They do sound different than paper cones

10. fingertip

fingertip Silver Supporting Member

Yes, thuddy is the sound out of my 65prri. The CRex will be replaced. My homebuilt extension speaker cab is worlds better, so I do like the amp circuit but not the Crex.

candid_x likes this.
  11. Red House

Red House Silver Supporting Member

Yes, it would be too dark and lose that Fender sparkle!

bloozeman1 likes this.
  12. Rob s

Rob s Member

Too dark for my tastes. cool for harp and ebow though.

13. amstrtatnut

amstrtatnut Member

Crex is great afaik.

To me its not dark, it just tames ice pick.

Outlaw likes this.