• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Hendrix and Superbass....

Dirty Tony

I know that theres alot of Hendrix experts in this forum, I need your help because Id like to know if its true that Hendrix from '68 begun using SB... Ive seen some DVDs and besides JTM it seem to me he used superleads (the amps with white sprayed "J.H.EXP" are all superleads)
thanks a lot for any info about

Stu Blue

Jimi's superleads were modded to have more bass and treble (his roadie Gerry something told me) and that is mentioned by Marshall in the sales stuff for the Hendrix re-issue superlead. Later he used 3x 200watt Marshall Majors of which there was only one model for both bass and guitar (Jimi used the bright channel Billy Cox used the normal channel.

Dirty Tony

Jimi's superleads were modded to have more bass and treble (his roadie Gerry something told me) and that is mentioned by Marshall in the sales stuff for the Hendrix re-issue superlead. Later he used 3x 200watt Marshall Majors of which there was only one model for both bass and guitar (Jimi used the bright channel Billy Cox used the normal channel.
interesting it sounds like the JTM-SB tone stack... thanks for sharing

teanett

i dont know.
i think he just used superleads but the big difference are the 30w speakers (12 of them) wich give him tighter bass and less mids compared to his earlier monterey jtm/greenback sound.

Dirty Tony

thanks
Ive jst found on the net that the sprayed superleads was instead like JTMs but with SL tone stack... things get confusing...

teanett

info about his amps can be confusing. however, the differences between early superleads/bass are very little. a couple different values on the components, shared/split cathode, bright cap values or no bright, that's it.
it took my tech 15 minutes to change my 1987 to bass specs.

Roe

the superbass rumour have never been documented. pics shows 45/100, a black flag jtm100 as well as jmp100s (1959s). hendrix just followed the evolution of the 100w plexis

sixty2strat

HE used them all. He had a lot of heads stashed in the USA and Europe, and the Gear was beat to death in the hold of planes trucks and savage baggage handlers, so I am sure he was buying new gear every so often. I would be interesting to see how many he bought....bet the IRS has records, biz expenses.

Purplexi

HE used them all. He had a lot of heads stashed in the USA and Europe, and the Gear was beat to death in the hold of planes trucks and savage baggage handlers, so I am sure he was buying new gear every so often. I would be interesting to see how many he bought....bet the IRS has records, biz expenses.
That must be right because I have seen pics where he was playing a stadium venue and not only had the three 68/69 JMP SLP/SL stacks w/those dozen 30watt Greenback bass spkrs but would also be running his "Monterey" rig; two JTM 45/100 stacks with tall bottom cabs along with two Fender Bandmaster heads and cabs. Maybe one of Noel Redding's Marshall bass heads would be utilized occasionally?

Stu Blue

i dont know.
i think he just used superleads but the big difference are the 30w speakers (12 of them) wich give him tighter bass and less mids compared to his earlier monterey jtm/greenback sound.
The big tone change was also the the arrival of a Vox wah-fuzz pedal after the first album. The wah was always in, stepping on the pedal just switched the fuzz on/off (had one myself 1970). At an early (67/68?)gig at the Marquee Club he tried using Two Sound City 4x12 cabs (i was there)... awful sound when he turned up. BTW his amp settings were 10 (max) treble and bass, vol at 7+1/2. In at Bright channel... no I don't remember the presence and mid or (internally linked) normal Vol... it was the '60s, those who remember it all were not there...

It was standard practice then to turn your amp up loud and your guitar right down most of the time and Jimi did that... I still do (way behind the times as usual).

Trending Topics