Hendrix best live tracks

Have we ever come up with the ultimate live Hendrix album? ie best live versions/essentials from the various official albums/bootleg.

What does everyone think?

JRC4558Dude

The out-of-print "The Jimi Hendrix Concerts" is essential listening for any serious fan. That particular version of "Stone Free" (from the RAH, Feb '69) is possibly his single greatest live performance.

The Isle Of Wight show has a pretty bad reputation (and it is pretty ragged in some spots, for sure), but it has awesome performances of "Freedom" "Dolly Dagger" "All Along the Watchtower" and the very rare "In From the Storm".

"Voodoo Child" from Live at Berkeley is a must listen.

"Red House" from San Diego 5/24/69, on the old "Stages" boxset is great.

"Roomful of Mirrors" from Atlanta Pop...

The whole Monterey performance is terrific, and the sound quality is amazing for 1967.

Woodstock is pretty shambolic, but the Voodoo Child>SSB>Purple Haze>Improvisation-Villanova Junction Blues is brilliant....

Hard for me to pick favorites, really...

Last edited:

Fulldrive-1

Stone Free on the Jimi Hendrix Concerts.

Solo is as tight and powerful as anything he ever did. Not one phrase is superfluous. An astonishing example of Hendrixian improvisation, and further proof, if any be needed, that Jimi Hendrix was the greatest guitarist of all time.

WIshbones

Supporting Member
Dolly Dagger from the Isle of Wight
"Dem" Changes from BOG
Villanova Junction from Newport
I Don't Live Today from the Hendrix Concerts

The out-of-print "The Jimi Hendrix Concerts" is essential listening for any serious fan. That particular version of "Stone Free" (from the RAH, Feb '69) is possibly his single greatest live performance.
This album is my pick for an already existing collection. My favorite versions of Red House, Little Wing and Hear My Train, as well as a mind altering version of Are You Experienced?, hell the entire album is just amazing.

Add Machine Gun and Message Of Love from BOG, and you've got what I consider the essential live Jimi.

Last edited:

massacre

Silver Supporting Member
For me tied with the version from Hendrix in the West.
yes!!!
That one is also great!

In the west, concerts, BOG, Monterey, stages, are all just so killer.
Spanish castle magic and tax free are pretty good from live at winter land as well.
That show is Michell and Jack Casady if I remember right.

Last edited:

Trending Topics