Hendrix best live tracks

deeohgee

Red House & Little Wing - Hendrix In The West
Hey Baby - Live At Berekley
Villanova Junction - Woodstock
Spanish Castle Magic & Are You Experienced? (12:13 version, 2nd show??) - Winterland
Like A Rolling Stone - Monterey
Machine Gun - Fillmore East

Ultra GP

I'd say this one is up there. Specifically for the bit at 8:20. I ended up tracking down the CD just to get it in better quality.

Edit: Can't play it from here it seems.

monwobobbo

Purple Haze from Woodstock comes to mind. Listen to it and then listen to Frank Marino's version on the live album. Obviously Frank liked the Woostock version to. Little Wing from RAH is 69 is awesome.

Aaron Mayo

I’ve listened to (watched) Monterrey And bog a million times, they are both great (killing floor might be the “best” opener ever) in different ways.

Can’t wait to check out some of these others, thanks.

sahhas

Supporting Member
Back in the 80s on cassette I had:
Jimi Hendrix documentary soundtrack
Jimi Hendrix concerts
Live in the west
Radio 1
Live at winterland
BOG

all were good and I listened to them constantly!!!!

Drew66

I haven’t noticed anyone mention it yet but the acoustic version of Hear My Train a Comin’ from the movie soundtrack and or Blues. And the electric version from the original Rainbow Bridge LP.

massacre

Silver Supporting Member
Always liked the born under a bad sign from Blues.
things I used to do with Johnny winter

mattjayworker

My favorite live performance. By anyone. Ever.
Yep, same here.

I've long considered it as the high water mark for electric guitar......by any player, of any era. Nothing even comes close in my opinion.

Beyond the superb playing, the other worldly tone and improvisational genius..... There's a raw, unfiltered emotion coming thru as if Jimi himself was even playing and was but a lighting rod.....some kind of cosmic antenna.

It's all devistatingly heavy stuff.

sahhas

Supporting Member
i will say back in the late 80s at a midnight movie showing, i got to see Hendrix at Monterey in a theater, and they had the little documentary before it with Paul McCartney talking about Hendrix playing Sgt Peppers on a Sunday night in London after the Beatle's Sgt Pepper album had been released on the Friday, and they had a brief snippet of some video of Hendrix playing Sgt. Pepper.......that was kind of cool to see.
sometime in the mid-00s, i bought the BOG dvd, and watching that was really mesmerizing....i wish it would have been in color...but it was still cool to see...
and the documentary that came out a few years ago about the Atlanta Pop Festival was pretty cool to see, would like to watch that again.....

tommyg

Stone Free on the Jimi Hendrix Concerts.

Solo is as tight and powerful as anything he ever did. Not one phrase is superfluous. An astonishing example of Hendrixian improvisation, and further proof, if any be needed, that Jimi Hendrix was the greatest guitarist of all time.
It's my FAVORITE Jimi track of all! I agree about everything you say here, but for me, it's the most beautiful live Strat tone I've ever heard! When I owned a Strat, this was the sound I strived to attain.

GenoVox

Silver Supporting Member
Man, you guys have got me jonesing to hear that live “Stone Free”!!

Can’t seem to find that specific version anywhere online...

“Concerts” was always a record I always meant to pick up, but never did

Fulldrive-1

Purple Haze from Woodstock comes to mind. Listen to it and then listen to Frank Marino's version on the live album. Obviously Frank liked the Woostock version to. Little Wing from RAH is 69 is awesome.

Woodstock Purple Haze is interesting. It's the only one I've heard with Univibe.

And that seems to have been an accident. At the end of the national anthem, you can hear him kicking on the univibe. He starts Purple Haze, and then after the intro figure, on the film you can see him try to turn it off. But he doesn't succeed, and so the first two verses of Purple Haze are univibe. I think it was a happy accident.

Trending Topics