• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Hendrix Fuzz Face vs Fulltone 70

pold

JH-F1 is the best silicon, together with MJM London. The pedal alone doesn't sound killer, just remember to stack a good TS or a COT 50, BEFORE the fuzz. Or, even better, a Mojo Vibe in "modern mode" always BEFORE the fuzz. :BEER

floydfanatic

I disagree strongly. I bought the Hendrix Fuzz and took it back a week later. Too noisy/big/no adapter/no led. I tried out the Fulltone 70 and I love just as much as the day I got it. Its definitely better than the HendriX Fuzz IMHO. If you can try both out than let yourself be the judge.

fishlog

Silver Supporting Member
I have the Hendrix, never tried the Fulltone and probably never will. The Hendrix is great, I have no noise problems and could care less about the led. There is a vain side of me that also says it looks cool in that nice big and blue round way!

Steve73

In addition to the two you asked about, I would suggest checking out the MJM London Fuzz II as well if you are looking for an Si fuzz. Best silicon fuzz I've tried.

drolling

Yep, gotta give credit where credit is due - and Mike Fuller makes some of the best fuzz clones around; the '69, the SoulBender and the '70... All top notch pedals. The extra control alone on the '70 makes it well worth having.

But not at today's inflated *unobtanium* prices. I got my Fulltones second hand for under a hundred bucks a piece - That's all they're worth, IMO.

If I was looking for a vintage-style Si Fuzz Face today, it'd be the JH-F1, no question. Jeorge done a real nice job on these; No LED/AC out, reversed out/in jacks, just perfect right down to the smallest detail..

More importantly, they sound GREAT: I run mine dimed (fuzz & volume) and work from the guitar's volume/tone knobs. Picture wah in front and an UltraVibe after ~ Band of Gypsys all the way..

"Now, uh, Jimi's gonna do a thing he wrote called 'a, Message of Love.."

devnulljp

JH-F1 is the best silicon, together with MJM London. The pedal alone doesn't sound killer, just remember to stack a good TS or a COT 50, BEFORE the fuzz. Or, even better, a Mojo Vibe in "modern mode" always BEFORE the fuzz. :BEER
You put your OD before the fuzz? Don't they run you out of town on a rail around here for not putting the fuzz first? (I'll have to to give it a try ).

drolling

Which Fuzz Face ? I find the Gypsy Fuzz the best "Hendrix" fuzz out there.
They originally came in both flavors; germanium AND silicon.

The current production standard Dunlop Fuzz Face (red) is Ge,as is the Fulltone '69. The newer Dunlop JH-F1 Fuzz Face (turquoise) is Si, as is the Fulltone '70.

Haven't the slightest interest KR's stuff, so I'll never know what I'm missing
You put your OD before the fuzz? Don't they run you out of town on a rail around here for not putting the fuzz first? (I'll have to to give it a try ).
Ha! Just one of many touchy subjects amongst our more thin-skinned members.

I like some dirt after my fuzz & 'vibe (any old tubescreamer'll do), but that's only because I can't run my Marshall stack at "11" most places I play these days. They have laws against that now..

But I'm with the sheriff & his entire posse on Fuzz placement. Do we have to drag out all the photograhic evidence again???

Windup 43

Silver Supporting Member
I haven't tried the '70, but I had a JH-F1 which was very good but prefer the Analogman BC108 Sunface which was exactly what I wanted in a silicon fuzzface.

stevie65

The Fulltone 70´is a cool pedal.... but seriously try out a Monsterpiece NPN. They cost 110usd (i think) and it will take arround 5 weeks for the builder to build it for you. This pedal is the best silicon fuzz soundwise that i have ever tried (nails late Hendrix and early Gilmore and also lots of more). Its a very versatile fuzz, from kind of cool overdrive to a classic silicon-fuzz with some real bite. Also responds very well to picking-attack. The pedal is also among the most well-built that i have seen. Period!
Cheers/Stefan

pold

As we know you can get the best guitar tones from fuzz, but they are difficult subjetcs, just like univibes. It all depends on what pedals and amp you are using. I tried all the possible combinations. The JH-F1 alone never sounds killer, so you need a boost pedal or, even better, a Mojo Vibe in modern mode, and this makes the jhf1 really shine. I use a Marshall JVM 410 (crunch mode, everything at 12 o' clock and reverb at zero), Mojo Vibe (modern mode, trim pot at 11 o clock,volume at 3 o clock, and intensity wherever you like, Butler Tubedriver, lovepedal COT 50, and I find myself never using the Tubedriver (wich says it all), just put the mojo vibe and the cot50 before the fuzz, and it sounds absolutely huge crispy and warm. Hope this might help!

jzucker

Silver Supporting Member
Hey Kevin,

Steve Stevens seems to like your products. (Premium Guitar Mag Interview)

I wouldn't worry so much about negative potshots folks take on chat forums. After all, chat forums are mostly about saying negative stuff about people. It's just what's in vogue whether it's youtube or whatever.

Point is that the players know your stuff is great.

K Randall

Hey Kevin,

Steve Stevens seems to like your products. (Premium Guitar Mag Interview)

I wouldn't worry so much about negative potshots folks take on chat forums. After all, chat forums are mostly about saying negative stuff about people. It's just what's in vogue whether it's youtube or whatever.

Point is that the players know your stuff is great.
yes jack,i will try not to worry or be thinned skinned(LOL) perhaps maybe i need to grow thicker skin no?:roll

pacomc79

It depends on what you are looking for. I own the JHF1 and like it a lot but it's got a huge case no 9V jack. It's got a little more gain than the original starting at about 3/4's. With everything dimed it's got a nice top end sizzle.

The Fulltone adds the tone control in the circuit and generally sounds smoother than the JHF1 but obviously you can control it a little differently with the tone control. Sounds more like Eric Johnson than Jimi Hendrix but it's all in there too. The Fulltone also fits easily on most pedalboards, has the 9volt input conveinently on top and top mounted jacks that allow a nice neat cable connection. Both are excellent pedals, the fulltone seeks to tweak the original for the better and the JHF1 essentially seeks to be the best incarnation of the orginal.

pacomc79

For the Fulltone '70, isn't it true that if you roll the Mids knob all the way back that it give you the original silicon Fuzz Face tones? That seems to be the case judging from the ProGuitarShop demo.

yeah essentially, close enough, I just know that a/b'd next to one another I perceived the fulltone to sound a touch smoother and the JHF1 to be slightly brighter. Anyone looking would probably be happy with either if they were well functioning products... I think you might get slightly more gain in the JHF1 but you get much more control over your sound with the 70.

This was in a store so I did not have the ability to open the case and mess around with anything if there are any internal controls.

Last edited:

Trending Topics