Hendrix Fuzz?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jzucker, Sep 20, 2005.

1. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

What's the best Jimi Fuzz pedal?

2. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Just fuzz, or octavia style?

3. steeeve

steeeve Member

For straight up fuzz, I have an Aramat Mojo Fuzz which I think is awesome. Good price too.

There are many, many choices though.

4. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

Just straight fuzz ala "May this be love" (Waterfall...)

5. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

6. Alex Law

Alex Law Member

Fulltone '69 totally nails Jimi @ Monterey Pop. The '70 does a good BOG Jimi. Goose either with the Octafuzz and you're set.

edit: Shouldn't there be a Jimi forum? I mean, really... Every other post I've read in all the 'net forums are about how to nail some particular Hendrix sound...

7. dinrodef

dinrodef Guest

Yeah the 69 is nice. Have you tried the fulltone Octafuzz since the fuzz switch was added... it does a real nice straight out fuzz (thicker than the 69 in my opinion) but you can still flip the switch and get and killer octave up. Really versatile

8. CocoTone

CocoTone Senior Member

9. DerekMinnich

DerekMinnich Member

You can have a buck but it won't be out of my pocket.:D I've owned 2 London Fuzz's, a Germanium(#43 I think) and a Silicon. Too dark, extremely noisy, boomy in the low end, and there wasn't any flexibility in the controls.

I'm a huge hendrix fan and many of the benchmark qualities I look for in a fuzz came from many of his performances(and there are lots of different qualities).

Read my post here. I have never had an affiliation with any builder and these are my straight up findings.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?s=&threadid=102315&highlight=blackface+fuzz:D

BTW...I need to just go buy a 69 and check it out. Fuller builds great stuff. I myself think the Fuzzface is the hardest thing to get right(circuit wise)....since there are so few components any drift in values make a big deal. Having the right transistors picked is crucial.

10. gururyan

gururyan Member

Well, I have an MJM London Fuzz myself.
    Do I like it?...I haven't looked for another fuzz since.
    Would I replace it?...for sure.

I got mine off a member here, can't remember who it was.

As far as Derek's comments above, maybe it's the pup/amp combination...who knows. But I do know that P90's on a thin hollow through a Fender tube with the London sounds mighty tasty at my house.
    :dude

11. DerekMinnich

DerekMinnich Member

It wasn't a bad pedal by any means. After trying so many different fuzz's though, it made some of its weakness extremely apparent, especially my 4 Knob Pro Analog. This is all IMHO. I'm not one of those people that think one thing works for everyone.

12. Shakkal

Shakkal Member

FWIW I have the Fulltone '70 (purple version) and the MJM London (Ge).

IMO the London gets you the Jimi at Monterey tone. It does that very well, and despite its being a great tone, it IS a bassy tone. As far as the tones on Are You Experienced (like on "May This Be Love"), I guess he used the same type of fuzzface but the tones on the album sound less bassy to me than his live tone on Monterey. Could be the studio EQ. A Prescription Electronics Facelift (Ge) that I had got closer to the album tones but was too low gain for my needs. As far as clips that I have heard, not personal experience, the Addrock Geranium fuzz sounds close to that tone and is a pedal that I eventually want to try out myself.

The '70 gets you the later Jimi tones, and Eric Johnson, but IMO it doesn't get Band of Gypsies (like it says on the Fulltone website) ... more of an Isle of Wight kind of vibe.

13. DerekMinnich

DerekMinnich Member

I've heard many people claim that BOG was a high gain GE fuzz. I don't know how many fuzz's he used over those 2 nights, but I know that one night he definitely had a tone that was unmistakeable germanium.

14. trisonic

trisonic Member

Jack,
    "May this be Love"
    That always sounded like to me his Strat into a very loud JTM45(100?) with compression coming from the valve board overloading but wtf do I know?
    Oh, play on just one string (the main part) for full effect.

Amazing how this thread digressed so quick.

Best, Pete.

15. CocoTone

CocoTone Senior Member

I`ve had my London for almost 4 years now, and the only criticsm is that it is very temp sensitve. It likes to be kept cool, and then it sounds killer. If you play outside on a hot day, forget it. Unless you`ve got a refridgerated pedalboard, it won`t stay clear. But, in a studio, or rehearsal situation, it is an awsome pedal with a good Strat and a Fender 6L6 amp, or a plexi style amp.
    The build quality is second to none, with all components and transistors hand-matched, and in some cases, he will cutom tweak to your tastes.
    You must ride the volume, and pay attention to where you are on the neck, but very rewarding for those willing to work the quirks. Just like a real good Fuzzface.
    And I`m old enough to remember buying Fuaafaces new, back in `68, so lets just say that I`ve tried a few

CT.:cool:

16. Shakkal

Shakkal Member

yeah, the silicon fuzzes have a certain sizzle of whatever you wanna call it that I don't hear on BOG ... plus the way the guitar sounds with the volume rolled off is definitely different, warm (Ge) vs a little more "clangey" (Si).

17. exodus

exodus Member

First—finding the right fuzz, I think, is one of the hardest pedal quests. Not only do fuzz pedals vary greatly, but they seem to be the most vulnerable to massive tonal shifts dependant on pickups, amps, how the amp is eq’ed, how much gain the amp is putting out, cables, temperature, voltage, and even where in the effects chain the pedal is placed….. just to name a few. I have a McFuzz Hot and have found that I can make “night and day” changes in tone by simply changing voltage, pickups, and placement in the chain.

Second—finding a “Hendrix” fuzz tone can be just as difficult… or easy, depending on how you view it. Hendrix is pretty much my musical obsession and I have a pretty big collection of his material. To be accurate, I have (to my knowledge) pretty much everything that is even vaguely thought to be in circulation. And what I have found is that consistency in his tone (including a fuzz tone) is certainly the exception rather than the rule. When I think of great Hendrix tones, I typically think of specific shows where things were really working. And even at that, I don’t necessarily think of his tone as a fuzz tone… its more of a big, fat, ballsly, growling tone that can teeter on the edge of mayhem. And to get THAT tone, I think you have to look beyond just a fuzz pedal. For example, I don’t think any fuzz pedal on the planet through a Twin Reverb will ever get a good live Hendrix tone. I like to think of it as really a mixture of overdrive and fuzz. And to that end, I think nailing live Hendrix tone is primarily a matter of the right overdrive tone with just a bit of fuzz as the “secret ingredient.” It adds just some grit and low end balls that make an overdrive tone sound huge.

Finally… and I promise to stop rambling here… I think as far as pedals go, the Pedalworx McFuzz Hot is a top pick for Hendrix tones. Its temperature stable, works great with wah pedals, can take different voltages (at least mine can), is pedalboard friendly, and sounds great.

I’ve tried too many fuzz pedals to mention at once, but I can agree with some other comments. I had an MJM silicon fuzz and was only able to find one tone that sorta worked with my setup. But, to get the goods, it was overly saturated, compressed, and kinda dark and muddy… surprising for an Si fuzz. I do remember buying a pair of modded fuzz boxes from Alf Hermida (makes the Zendrive and such) that sounded GREAT. The analogman fuzz was pretty good and the addrock ge fuzz was quite good. However, all of these boxes sounded like “fuzz” boxes, while the McFuzz sounds like a cross between a fuzz and overdrive, which for the live Hendrix tone, is spot on.

18. trisonic

trisonic Member

So what do you suggest to Jack to enable him to cop the studio "May this be Love" solo?

Best, Pete.

19. exodus

exodus Member

Just listened to it... I think you have a number of options being that it is a pretty low gain fuzz tone.

I'd say the analogman sunface with NKT-275 transitors through a fairly clean amp (set a little bright) on a strat with the volume knob rolled off a notch and an analog delay would pretty much nail it.

20. Hemispheres

Hemispheres Member

Crucible Fuzz for silicon Hendrix tones
    Diaz Square Face for germanium Hendrix tones