Hendrix on Hendrix- interesting quote from the new book

tapeworm

Steven Roby: Hendrix on Hendrix...I was reading parts of this book and came across the following quite which I thought TGP would enjoy since he touches on topics we discuss daily around here like vintage guitars and old wood, Fenders and Gibson's, etc. I read as much of it as i could and it was an interesting read with a lot of good Hendrix interviews, but this certainly caught my eye.

Q:What kind of equipment, guitars and amps do you use?

Hendrix: I use a Fender Stratocaster. Everyone's talking about the 7yr old Telecaster, the 13yr old Gibson, and the 92yr old Les Paul. They've gone into an age bag right now, but it's nothing but a fad. Y'know the salesman is always telling you that Chuck Berry took this one to the bathroom and he didn't have no toilet paper, so watch out for the pickguard. The Stratocaster is the best all around guitar for the stuff we're doing. You can get the very bright trebles and the deep bass sound. I tried the Telecaster and it only has two sounds, good and bad, and a very weak tone variation. A Guild guitar is very delicate but it has one of the best sounds. I tried one of the new Gibsons but I literally couldn't play it at all, so I'll stick with Fender. I really like my old Marshall tube amps, because when they're working properly there's nothing can beat it, nothing in the whole world. It looks like two refrigerators hooked together.

ReidS

and yet his tele work is classic :)...
Just curious what classic work of Jimi was done on a Tele?
i have never even seen a pic of him playing a Telecaster.
I have seen pics of him with Jazzmasters,Jaguars and maybe a Duo Sonic but no Teles.
Gibson Les Pauls,SG's and Flying V..no Teles :)

tapeworm

Wrongo, the key word being "delicate".

I still think he was talking about the Starfire. Non-set bridge and harptail versus stoptail on a 335 makes it a bit more delicate makes the tone more "delicate" and less rock n roll. The mini buckers they had at the time versus fullsized humbuckers on the Gibson produces a different tone from the Gibson. The quote was from 1967 and the fact that he was inspired by Buddy Guy who was playing those at the time leads me to believe that as well. Also Guild was still making mostly jazz boxes that had a more jazzy "delicate" tone at the time. I can't see Hendrix talking about a Thunderbird/S-200, but I could be wrong. Would certainly love to see old lost footage of him playing one.

tapeworm

Yes according to Wiki Jimi played that Tele on Purple Haze and Hey Joe,those are the only references i can find of him ever playing a Tele.
Here is a cool site about Jimi's gear.
http://www.jimihendrix.dk/index.php?lang=en&page=gear
Not sure if there is any validity to that site at all but this again makes me think his commentary from the quote was based on a Guild Starfire. Man I would have loved to hear him play that!:

Of course, Hendrix bought and played other guitars - lots of other guitars - and he gave many away. Henry Goldrich of Manny's recalls selling him everything from a Gibson ES-330, to a Gibson Firebird, to a Mosrite electric resonator guitar. His other guitars included a Guild 12-string acoustic, an Acoustic Black Widow Spider, a double-neck Mosrite, a Hagstrom 8-string bass (played on "Spanish Castle Magic" from Axis: Bold as Love), various Rickenbackers (a bass, a 6-string, and a 12-string), a '67 Gretsch Corvette, a left-handed Guild Starfire Deluxe fitted with a Bigsby tremolo, a '67 Gibson Flying V, a '55 Gibson Les Paul, a '68 Gibson SG Custom, a black, left-handed Flying V, a Gibson Dove acoustic, a Martin acoustic, and a Hofner electric. Modifications to his instruments were minimal, and his frets were rarely reworked because the guitars didn't last long enough to become worn.

painfulltruf

and yet his tele work is classic :)...
Prove it.

As well as Gibson work.
Prove it.

At last the truth about teles
hahaha

gear and vintage is a fad

yep

</TGP>
His math is weird...
He's making a joke about old Les Paul gear(old Jazz stuff)

I found his commentary about Guilds to be interesting too
Me too

Red house. I think wind cries Mary, too
Yeah right.

Purple Haze was recorded on Noel Redding's Tele.
More BS. Just curious were you the guy that started the rumor the Eddie turned his Variac UP instead of down?

Musicians....

Tape...your quote should be a sticky...thanks.

Trending Topics