• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Hendrix sound from pedals?

Akap124

I don't have any pedals or anything. I've got a classic series 60s strat and a super champ x2. Anyone have any recommendations on pedals? My favorite players are jimi, srv, eric gales... Any recommendations on pedals or something else to get a sound like them would be greatly appreciated :)

jawajt

I'd recommend a "Marshall in a box" pedal, a Univibe of some sort, a fuzz face and/or octavia fuzz. That's for Jimi. For SRV I'd go for a Tubescreamer of some kind and a leslie simulator or a chorus that will cop leslie-esque tones.

Some good MIAB: Catalinbread DLS MKIII, Menatone King of the Britains, ZVEX Box of Rock, Xotic SL Drive, Weehbo, etc..

Univibe: Wilson Haze, EQD Depths, Drybell Vibe Machine, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Voodoo Labs Micro Vibe, etc...

Octavia: Catalinbread Octapu$$y, Malekko Fuzz, MXR La Machine, Hartman 8VA, BlackArts FNORD, Solidgold FX Formula 76, etc...

There are a million Fuzz Face variants out there. I don't have much experience with Fuzz Faces, so I can't recommend one over the other. Same goes for Tubescreamers.

For Leslie sounds: Neo Instruments Mine Vent, Boss RT20, Strymon Lex, DLS Rotosim, Tech 21 Roto Choir, etc. Some good chorus pedals for copping Leslie sounds are: Greenhouse effects Stonefish, Catalinbread Callisto, MXR Analig Chorus, etc...

Also, Dunlop has a whole line of Jimi pedals. Depending on what you're willing to spend, you should have no trouble finding some pedals that'll work.

Last edited:

Spawn

I'd recommend a "Marshall in a box" pedal, a Univibe of some sort, a fuzz face and/or octavia fuzz. That's for Jimi. For SRV I'd go for a Tubescreamer of some kind and a leslie simulator or a chorus that will cop leslie-esque tones.

Some good MIAB: Catalinbread DLS MKIII, Menatone King of the Britains, ZVEX Box of Rock, Xotic SL Drive, Weehbo, etc..

Univibe: Wilson Haze, EQD Depths, Drybell Vibe Machine, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Voodoo Labs Micro Vibe, etc...

Octavia: Catalinbread Octapu$$y, Malekko Fuzz, MXR La Machine, Hartman 8VA, BlackArts FNORD, Solidgold FX Formula 76, etc...

There are a million Fuzz Face variants out there. I don't have much experience with Fuzz Faces, so I can't recommend one over the other. Same goes for Tubescreamers.

For Leslie sounds: Neo Instruments Mine Vent, Boss RT20, Strymon Lex, DLS Rotosim, Tech 21 Roto Choir, etc. Some good chorus pedals for copping Leslie sounds are: Greenhouse effects Stonefish, Catalinbread Callisto, MXR Analig Chorus, etc...

Also, Dunlop has a whole line of Jimi pedals. Depending on what you're willing to spend, you should have no trouble finding some pedals that'll work.

All great suggestions. Concerning fuzzfaces, I would try a Mojo Hand Crosstown with or without the DLS. If all that doesn't help, you may need to consider a new amp. A Marshall for instance ;)

corn husk bag

Don't forget the WAH!

My set up for this is

KR "The Fuzz" BOG
KR "Fuzz Child" Earlier stuff
KR Mega Vibe BOG
KR Doubler BOG
Teese Picture Wah the blue one
Early 1990s American Strat set up with a floating trem and Vintage 60s Custom Shop pick ups.

Marshall stacks are to much amp for me these days, I use a Vibrolux Reverb, Bassman, or even a Silvertone 1482 miced if need be (great recording amp), I have run this set up through a Pro Junior too, sounds pretty good!

JesterR

KoskineN's board looks like a pretty solid Hendrixy board. Just add Wah pedal.
AAC6393A-96AB-4EE9-82E6-327FB870F095_zpslpl6yjuc.jpg

larimar

That champ amp has a few modulation FX built in (iirc). I would go with a wah and a fuzz at least. I like the 535Q wah that Dunlop makes. It's versatile. Dunlop also makes all those mini fuzz pedals which are cool. Those two pedals and maybe a tube screamer if the amps OD don't do it for you.

johnh

I would get a low-mid gain Marshall tone on your amp and roll the volume back on your guitar for clean ones. Adding a univibe if there is one on your amp sounds really Hendrix-y. The best would be pushing a mid gain amp model with something like a tubescreamer for solos.

groovemeister

My sig nails jimi and stevie
Sunface and dlsmk3 on superbass mode are key to the jimi thing and often just dls on its own
For lord stevie, try the octafuzz into a tube screamer instead of into fuzzface.
For stevie though, all you mostly need is a tube screamer and wah

Gassin Uface

Best advice I can offer is check out zZounds.com for their 4 payment no qual no credit check thing and shop around for the best value in pedals.
You do not need pedals that are much higher quality than your amp at present.
Jimi used a Vox wah (not a Crybaby)
a Dallas Arbiter Fuzz face
an Octavia upper octave fuzz
a Univibe
there are a lot of possibilities.

Std Vox is not a lot of bucks
the Fulltone '69 and OF2 octa fuzz are very good renderings
Vibes get expensive, you can go with the cheaper Dunlop stuff.

PhillSB

I'm very happy with my Jimi/SRV tone at the moment.. Set up is as follows..

Fulltone Octafuzz
CAE Wah
Analogman Sunface
Solidgold FX 'If 6 was 9'
Lumpys Liquid Lead
Fulltone Deja Vibe
Strymon Flint

This is using a Stratocaster into a VOX AC30.

lostpoet2

Silver Supporting Member
To the OP: as you can see, this is a very popular topic. Most people are recommending various univibe pedals, but please start by using the vibratone effect in your super champ. I think it's the best effect on that amp, and there are only a few classic songs that use this sound anyway (Machine Gun, Cold Shot, etc.).

The key pedals are a fuzz face, a tube screamer, and a wah. There are almost infinite versions of each, so I would start by familiarizing yourself with the new Dunlop fuzz faces, ibanez tube screamers, and Vox or crybaby wahs. From there, decide if you want to start with cheaper or more expensive variants. Example: to keep the cost down and provide liquidity in case you want to try other stuff, I would recommend starting with used versions of fairly popular pedals that can be readily found here on craigslist, eBay, or reverb.com.

michael patrick

Loud and proud
Silver Supporting Member
For live work, Jimi's set-up added in pedals gradually over time. I don't know what your budget is, but a similar approach might be easier on your wallet, and it might give you a chance to familiarize yourself with each pedal before moving on to the next.

When Jimi first hit it big, he was only using a Fuzz Face live. Later on he added the wah. The Univibe came later still. He only used an Octavio live a few times, most notably for the shows where Band of Gypsys and Live at the Fillmore East were recorded.

Gassin Uface

Personally I would invest in a better amp before buying a bunch of pedals.
But anyway.
Jimi's sound was more shear volume and the Fuzz Face. He would often roll the guitar volume down on w the face on which acted like an early overdrive for his cleaner stuff.
So many pedal options for these basic types. Most here are into higher end pricey stuff or pro level. Like I said browse the websites like zZounds.com or Sweetwater which has a 3 payment no qual deal. You might find some new stuff for a smaller price and be happier also easier delivery issues and warranty.
A std Vox wah and a Fulltone '69 would rock your world. There are less expensive fuzz face versions to be sure but that one you will keep as it is made w more rare germanium diodes, a pro would be at home with that puppy.

ceanat

Bit left field... but you may spend a lot of time and money chasing tone with your gear. Maybe buy a used GT10 or another modeller that you can stack effects and mess around with that figuring out what you need you should have a ton of fun anyway. Then when your ready to upgrade you should have a much better idea of what you need, Oops I forgot this is TGP:facepalm Cancel what I said.

ghostrider

Bit left field... but you may spend a lot of time and money chasing tone with your gear. Maybe buy a used GT10 or another modeller that you can stack effects and mess around with that figuring out what you need you should have a ton of fun anyway. Then when your ready to upgrade you should have a much better idea of what you need, Oops I forgot this is TGP:facepalm Cancel what I said.

Solid advice. This is exactly the way I went when I got back into playing and I don't regret it.

Do this first. Then buy a better amp. Then slowly buy pedals. :aok

The PE Experience and a Castledine Wah.

Also the Sunface & DLS mk3.

I'm really interested in the PE Experience. How well does it cop the Jimi thing? I heard it's based around the Foxx octave/fuzz which Jimi never used. I want a fuzz that is brighter and cuts better live than a Fuzzface. Thx!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom