Hendrix Tone / Sound ???

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by guitarman1956, May 11, 2008.

1. guitarman1956

guitarman1956 Supporting Member

I have a guitar student what would like to do some Hendrix. He would also like to capture his tone / sound. I could give him a good estimate, but I prefer to get info from the "real" experts on certain matters. So, if you are a Hendrix guru, could you shed some light on how to get there? This is of course without spending the bucks to get a 65 Strat, etc. My student has a Fender Lonestar Strat to start with.

thanks for the help

2. Goldstrat

Goldstrat Member

1.Tune down a half step
    2. Low output single coils
    3. Get a good Wah
    4. Get a good Fuzzface
    5. Get a good Univibe
    6. Cranked Marshall stack

After that just become the best player that ever picked up an electric guitar!

3. Matt F

Matt F Member

Replace the bridge humbucker with a S/C? Not an overly expensive change. Perhaps a pickup swap. I can say that the Wagner SRs I have in my strat sound as close to that 60's "JMH" vibe as I have heard in any pickup. Sadly they are a bit spendy.

Edit: I am with goldstrat too on low output. Maybe lowering his pickups could loosen up the sound as well.

+ magic fingers helps too ;)

4. guitarman1956

guitarman1956 Supporting Member

With regard to the Marshall stack. Can a guy who is married with children get a substitute recomendation for playing around the house?

5. Matt F

Matt F Member

Get the wife mod with it ;)
    [​IMG]

A plexi voiced amp would be great. I had great success with an Aiken Invader 18 Watt.

6. Doug G

Doug G Silver Supporting Member

If it's a student, why not recommend the Digitech Jimi Hendrix pedal? I actually tried one out the other day and thought it was pretty cool - good way to play around and get a good feel for the Hendrix tones without spending major $$$. And if your student is already playing a strat, the pedal should give him an even better approximation (I think).

7. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

powerful amps, weak pickups.

8. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Supporting Member

Get a Proco Rat...at least a couple years old. There was one on DC CL a couple days ago. By the way much of AYE is tuned to pitch.

9. oscar100

oscar100 Member

its in teh phrasing

jimmy would be jimmy thru anything i feel

10. wichita

wichita Supporting Member

I hear that the Soultone amps have a great Power scaling ability.
    The guys at Cat 5 in Dallas have some smaller amps that do the Marshall thing as well.
    I have also heard some amps by Bob Reinhart that sound very Marshall like at lower volumes.

DISCLAIMER:
    I am not a dealer for any of the above mentioned builders.

11. rob2001

rob2001 Member

If it's a student, this is good stuff. I'd think a student should know more about how he played, not what gear he played.

12. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

I totally agree with this, obviously people have searched for this sound for years, kind of like the obsession with Eddie Van Halen's early tone as well and finding the perfect cabinet, speakers, Variac etc.

Getting the hands really strong and learning how he played I think helps the most, tuning etc. There are so many different varieties of pedals and guitars/equipment out there if you learn how the songs were played you can get close on near anything. So much is about feel. Part of the Jimi spirit is experimentation so other than working on what you can in the classroom and at home, I think becoming a gear hound is part of the fun of this hobby. Trying everything. Understanding how germanium and or silicon transistors interact with everything else going with maybe 11's and tuning down a half step.... how the humbucker changes the tone has more power etc. There are so many different ways to achive a good sound for those songs out there I'd hate to say do this or that. Obviously a sound that's launched a thousand ships and fuzzes and wah pedals.... but part of the fun is searching for it. The "right" throbby vibe, the correct BOG fuzz, the perfect octave, the best Wah that's thick and not nasty on the high end.

At the beginning, I think I'd try if I had it to do over again to focus on perfect playing hand strength and getting a good thick meaty basic clear strat tone then let the fuzz and extraneous stuff come. It's so much about rhythym and syncopation once you understand the guitar you can start feeling how the other stuff interacts.

13. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Hendrix had a lot of sounds and did a lot of wacky studio tricks, layering and weird harmonies. Which particular sound is your student after?

14. vdoochild7

vdoochild7 Silver Supporting Member

For Early Hendrix- Dr. Z Route 66 + Bass Magnet Greenbacks, Fulltone 69', and a Picture Wah will get you there.

15. 1973Marshall

1973Marshall Member

I disagree and agree lol. A student should have a nice and easy sot at learning the GEAR AND THE TECHNIQUE together ON A BUDGET. I think kids should stay away from boutique and learn how to make it all work with common tools. Specialize yourself once you are good.

I wish I had the right recommendations many years ago when I started out. The upside was I learned to love Fender Twins and Boss SD-1s (with a JCM800, Roland JC120 thrown in here and there). The downside is years in when friends introduced me to everything from TubeScreamers to Fulldrive 2's and Fuzz Face clones and Marshall Plexi-types, my world changed! Oh, add Seymour Duncan pickups to that list too, as well as Nocaster Teles, etc etc.

Funny thing is I still live off of Boss pedals and Fender amps.

BTW for a cheap, and manageable volume Hendrix sound look for a Fender Deluxe and throw in a G12H30, or a SF Bassman, maybe a Marshall 18w if you can afford it. Then throw in a decent Strat like the new Classic Player or Jimmy Vaughan models, and then last get a Rat or Fuzz Face-type. You could use a Big Muff but they are too over the top. Fuzz Face's are best because a youngster will learn to back off volume and use touch to get dynamics.

16. OWENMUSTANG

OWENMUSTANG Member

single coil pick ups and a plexi.

fuzz, univibe,wah..

good hands and ears.

I agree with oscar100.

jimmi could play a $25 guitar through a can and string and it would still
    sound amazing...

other thoughts... find a good lefty strat and restring it RH.

take lots of drugs...study country and blues. listen to alot of dylan..

17. kanderson

kanderson Member

18. t***9

t***9 Silver Supporting Member

If he's after the sound from Hendrix's first 3 albums (Jimi used '65 Strats for these) I'd strongly suggest the ECS '65 Strat pickups from Electric City Pickups- a true '65 Fender Strat lower output pickup. In person they sound much better than the good clips on their site.

I'd also suggest the reverse stagger on these pickups to more closely mirror Hendrix's sound profile. I have these in my Reverse Fender Strat now and they delivered everything I'd hoped for, the guitar speaks to me now in a more genuine voice, compared to the CS '69's they replaced.

19. tim gueguen

tim gueguen Member

Umm, you do realise that this thread is 3 years old, and the OP's student probably made his choices then?

20. ksandvik

ksandvik Member

They are hard to find, even used ones.