Hendrix Voodoo or Tribute Strat?

abnerfm

Hi guys

I've always been aware of the 1997 Hendrix Tribute Strat, which is a left-handed guitar with a Maple fretboard (and probably Custom Shop '69 pickups?).

Yesterday, I went to a guitar shop and saw this model:

First, I thought "Ok, that's a mexican Voodoo Strat, I've seen it before" but, as the owner said it was made in America, I took a look at the back of the headstock and, to my surprise, serial number started with "TN7xxxxx", which to my knowledge means "Tribute" (T) made in 1997 ("N7"). I didn't know about it, and now I want to know if it's really a "Tribute" or "Voodoo" model. It's priced like an American Vintage Strat series, which seems fair, but I really want to know more about it.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

guitarlifestyle

I like guitars.
Gold Supporting Member
Looks like a Voodoo model to me, which were made in America, not Mexico. They came with maple or rosewood fingerboards.

handtrix

IIRC The original ones were called Voodoocasters that came in Oly Wht & Sunburst. Janie got involved and Fender had to rename its offering. Over the years various models, concepts & configs were offered in both Made in U.S.A. and Made in Mexico.

guitarlifestyle

I like guitars.
Gold Supporting Member
Here is some more information from the Fender forum about these: http://forums.fender.com/viewtopic.php?p=845045&sid=eb1313ddb77a60cf9facd499efb6557b#p845045

The Tribute models had a reverse body in addition to the headstock and bridge pickup. The Voodoo Strats had a regular body with reverse bridge pickup and reverse headstock.

FWIW, I owned a Voodoo Strat and didn't find it to be all that nice of a guitar. For the money these are fetching these days, there are much nicer guitars, IMO.

Last edited:

guitarlifestyle

I like guitars.
Gold Supporting Member
Would you care going into details? Thanks
Sure. I didn't like the pickups much at all. They sounded pretty pedestrian. If given the choice, I'd have chosen the newer Hendrix Tribute with the '65 pickups. The neck pocket didn't seem secure at all. In fact, on the one I had, the neck had too much play and would move around if played hard. I did like the way the neck felt, though. The neck pocket was a deal breaker, but even without that issue, I think they are overpriced compared to the quality of the newer American Standards that I've played.

Stratofuzz

Silver Supporting Member
I own the new MIM model (with the '65 pickups). Honestly, I have no desire at all to sound like Hendrix so that factor played no part in my decision making.

Why I decided to buy this guitar is because it sounds like a good Stratocaster, has good action, stays in tune. Frankly, its a better guitar than the Eric Johnson I had for 3 years.

For the record, I have a Kirn Barnbuster Tele, so I do know what a good instrument is.
This is not the same quality but frankly I have been playing it a lot more than the Kirn (probably because its new to me, but it has been 4 months now.)

Last edited:

axe4me

My '97 Fender Jimi Hendrix Tribute Strat.
I found the original receipt from Dec. 1998.
The guitar cost $600.00.

mattymel

Cool guitars. The new MIM ones are just ok from what I have played. Kind of a turn off just knowing the people in charge of his name will do anything they can too make a few extra bucks off of any corner cutting. For that reason alone I stay away. Feel the same way about the Dunlop FFs.

Trending Topics