• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

hendrix's gear on BBC Sessions?

afterburner

Silver Supporting Member
I was wondering what gear Jimi used on the BBC Sessions. Nothing turned up on search...

I'm digging his tone on those live in the studio cuts a lot!

seiko

Pretty standard Jimi stuff I'd guess, strat, fuzzface, no wah on the earlier stuff, possibly a smaller Marshall (JTM45?)

afterburner

Silver Supporting Member
Pretty standard Jimi stuff I'd guess, strat, fuzzface, no wah on the earlier stuff, possibly a smaller Marshall (JTM45?)
yeah i'm pretty curious about the amp used. I'm sure the fuzzface is an early germanium one but wanted to see if anyone out there had more info.

Strat-O

I'm not much into Hendrix studio albums but I love live Hendrix. Raw and wild. The BBC discs are some of my favorites too. Great dynamic small rocking band sound. It would be interesting to know what the amp is.

airwarrior

Early stuff it would be one or more JTM-45/100s. Later he went to the Super Lead 100s. The BBC disks are a mix of several different occasions, and have different amps used.

karmadave

Gold Supporting Member
One of my favorite Hendrix CD's. 'Driving South' is Hendrix, at his best, and the Experience are cookin'...

-KD

afterburner

Silver Supporting Member
One of my favorite Hendrix CD's. 'Driving South' is Hendrix, at his best, and the Experience are cookin'...

-KD
yeah! cookin' is the right word for it! I love that tune on this CD, all the alternate versions of it! :JAM

I love the version of Hear My Train A'coming too!

afterburner

Silver Supporting Member
nice videos! any idea what Marshall amp that is? I'm bad at identifying amps....

last bump... no one has more info about the gear on these sessions? shame...

Hendrix rules!

airwarrior

That's probably my favorite yotube Jimi clip. He was just having sooo much fun on that one, and he was totally on.

Seeing as it probably came on in very late '68 or early '69 it is a Super Lead 100.

Lightningrt

That's probably my favorite yotube Jimi clip. He was just having sooo much fun on that one, and he was totally on.
I was watching that this morning on DVD.

The story goes that the guys were in a BBC dressing room smoking dope and dropped either a joint or the hash down the sink accidentally. They got a maintenance man to disconnect the u-bend in the sink saying Noel had lost a ring or something, then they fished the dope out.

So I've always seen Jimi's face when he turns the tuning peg on the bottom E down instead of up as being a knowing look to the rest of the band - i.e. God I'm stoned!

EXP

Supporting Member
yeah! cookin' is the right word for it! I love that tune on this CD, all the alternate versions of it! :JAM

I love the version of Hear My Train A'coming too!
Its funny you should say cookin on the AYE outtakes on Red House, Jimi comments '' in other words were cookin right? ''

EXP

Supporting Member
First BBC sessions CD was '67 era when Jimi was using his circa Oct '66 JTM-45 100's(4x KT66's) shared cathode. Most likely the same JTM marshall he used on AYE and at the Marquee Club. He had em cranked in fact the engineers said it was so loud in the studio that the control room glass was shaking. One of the versions of Driving South sounds like he's using a Mosrite Fuzzrite fuzz also so does Hootchie Cootchie Man. There's footage floating around where Jimi is playing a JTM-45 100 halfstack on BBC Manic Depression.

The Lulu Show '69 more than likely was a '68-69 Superlead with a silicon fuzzface.

Roe

first, jtm45/100 w/kt66s. then jtm100 black flag with el34s, later the jmp100 superleads

Trending Topics