Hendroff Delay Help!

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by Michael_V, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Michael_V

Michael_V Supporting Member

Yes, I know it's been asked a thousand times before, but I've searched high and low on this forum and couldn't find a clear answer, and I need this sound for this song next weekend. Exactly how does Nigel Hendroff get this galloping delay sound, best heard at 1:35 in this clip?

http://youtu.be/afgQk2WodGI

He says it's an analog delay with a triplet "on top" but I've tried every combination available to me between a Nova Delay (on analog sim) and two DD-5s and could not get that gallop.

I really just need to know the time divisions and which comes first. Quarters and triplet eighths? Triplet quarters and dotted eighths? Triplet eighths and triplet quarters? Dotted eights and quarters???

I am pulling my hair out!

Thanks!

2. Michael_V

Well, no responses. Here's the best approximation I could come up with. Sounds pretty close. Also, not sure why it's posting the picture upside down!

[​IMG]

3. PosterBoy

PosterBoy Member

Found this for you

The song is played at 74 BPM. Nigel's tempo is set to 100BPM for the delays. Nigel uses two delays. Delay 1 is a 1/4 note digital delay (24% feedback). Delay 2 is 1/4 analog triplet in series to the first and feedback around 30%). With the two delays setup like that, you get the "gallop" effect he using, and it sounds really cool. The 'analog' triplet repeats have slighty less bite, and the 1/4 ones really "pop out". So, its not a wall of total repeats, and its not muddied up with dotted eighths

4. Michael_V

Wow, thank you!!!

5. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Those don't sound like triplets to me. More like the usual eighths or 16ths. Sounds very Edge-ish.

6. jdhix

jdhix Member

Ya, he says triplets, but I think a quarter note delay with a dotted eight delay sounds much more like what he's doing. In fact, it's the dual delay setting he used on the nova delay when he moved on from the DD5s.

Quarter plus Dotted Eight tapped to the same tempo. That should get you there.

7. Tomlin

Tomlin Member

So...I'm wondering if anyone has set this up for a Timeline that sounds like a faithful recreation?

8. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

Dude on video is cornfused. He's talking 'Nashville triplets' ie..dotted eighths.
    Excuse while I get back to watching the MC5.

9. Tomlin

Tomlin Member

So is it Delay 1 Quarter Notes and Delay 2 Dotted Eights, or Delay 1 Quarter Notes and Delay 2 Quarter Triplets? I will try it on the Timeline and report back what I find.

10. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

Ah...the tennis shoes in a dryer effect!

DakotaRed likes this.
  11. Tomlin

Tomlin Member

Ha! I never thought about that. It can be beautiful sometimes :)

12. stevegrossie

stevegrossie Member

To loop back on this thread, after fussing around, I believe the following is close enough for the effect

Set Tap Tempo to 100
    Set 1st Delay - 1/4 note - 30% feedback - 30% Mix >> route this delay into 2nd Delay
    Set 2nd Delay - Dotted 1/4 note - 26% Feedback - 40% mix

Since one routes into the other, timing, mixes and feed backs feed off each other and seems to work out. Adjust to taste.
    If you take note in the video, the first delay is analog, and the 2nd delay is probably digital