Henretta Big Zapper Envelope Filter + great customer service

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dirtnap101, Mar 18, 2015.

1. dirtnap101

dirtnap101 Member

I love Envelope Filters and Auto Wahs. So I saw this demo by Mike Hermans and fell in love with the sound of this pedal. I bought a blemished version direct from Henretta and it was quite good, but I found some unwanted distortion when running into a clean amp. I began emailing with Kevin Henretta about it, and he was insanely nice about my issues and did everything in his power to solve my problems. Here's the demo (all credit to the fabulous Mike Hermans), and if you like envelope filters I would suggest that you not pass this by:

2. kevinhifi

kevinhifi Member

3. dirtnap101

dirtnap101 Member

Just an honest appraisal of my experience!

I knew the name Henretta before I saw this vid, but didn't pay much attention. Now I have a Choad Blaster on the way...and the vid speaks for itself with the great Mike Hermans.

4. kevinhifi

kevinhifi Member

Yeah, Mike did an amazing job!

5. MogwaiBoy

MogwaiBoy Member

I purchased a little mini Green Zapper "blem" on special from the Henretta site awhile back and also received great service. It was a huge discount for basically 1 missing screw.

It could never knock the Maxon AF-9 off my board but it's cool to keep around.

Henretta make great kit!

Very interested in the Crimson Tremolo but would love for it to have even a mini external pot (ala Mooer) for the trem speed.

6. dirtnap101

dirtnap101 Member

Visiting the Henretta site, I saw that you can order any of their "no knob" pedals with knobs, so if you want one of the no-knobbers with the internal controls outside to be more tweakable, I would talk to Kevin.

I really cannot wait to get my hands on the Choad Blaster.

7. kevinhifi

kevinhifi Member

There simply isn't room inside for anything more on those little 2x2 boxes. I have a few standards that I won't compromise, mostly because they differentiate my brand from the other "mini" offerings.

1. hand-soldered, all through-hole components
    2. enclosed non-PCB-mounted switchcraft jacks
    3. 100% guarantee for life, which requires that the components are high quality and assembled in a way that facilitates easy repair.

Because of all of that, there isn't room for anything more, and I'm very hesitant to consider those cheap plastic mini pots. All of this being said, I'm working on the next line that will be in a slightly larger box. Once I get that box up into production, it wouldn't be a far stretch to use it for compact one-knob versions of this original no-knob series. I don't know for sure if the extra 3/8" or so would provide the room, but I might find a way to make it work.

Cgkindler likes this.
  8. dirtnap101

dirtnap101 Member

btw, got the Choad today, really cool OD/distortion/fuzz pedal.

9. kevinhifi

kevinhifi Member

Nice. Enjoy!

FYI: Internal trimmer to 3:00, Red & Yellow to 3:00, and Tone to around 1:30 pretty much equals the Bluebird fuzz.

10. charley

charley Supporting Member

Were you able to resolve the noise issues on the Bog Zapper?

11. dirtnap101

dirtnap101 Member

Yes, Kevin swapped out pedals for me and the new one was perfect. Still love the Big Zapper and the Choad Blaster.

12. Cgkindler

Cgkindler Member

Wow - such a lot of different usable effects/tones in that box!!

kevinhifi likes this.
  13. smokehouse4444

smokehouse4444 Supporting Member

I'm becoming more interested in the Green Zapper. I kinda have a thing for EF's/AutoWahs.... I have an old vintage MXR Envelope Filter that's just syrupy goodness, a Mad Professor Snow White that just has so much range and versatility, and a TWA Little Dipper that is some kinda funky, and I haven't even scratched the surface all that much of what it can do. For a micro board that I have been messing around with on and off, I purchased a Malekko E.Filter, and when it triggers correctly it can sound pretty decent, but there sometimes seems to be no rhyme or reason how or when it will trigger right. I'll pop it on and you can barely tell it is even on...I'll change pickups, play harder/softer, etc... and then go back and do what I was originally doing, and it will suddenly sound kinda decent, like it just woke up or something. There seems to be a few others out there, the Mooer Funky Monkey (not interested), and Bass Sweeper (possible), but that seems to be about it. Except, of course, for that little Green Zapper.

Does it play well with SC's and HB's, clean or dirt? Does it respond to pick attack like the better Filters? Sorry, I don't mean to hi-jack the thread, but would love to hear some more about that little Green Guy!

14. dirtnap101

dirtnap101 Member

Since the Big Zapper's EF section is basically the Green Zapper, I can say that it plays well with singles and hums, clean and dirt (at least in my rig). It does respond to attack like a good filter.

Here's a demo that might help you if you haven't seen it already, shows it off clean, with dirt and talks a lot about attack response, etc:

15. justnick

justnick Gold Supporting Member

Love the Zapper! I just got a fantastic 6-Speed from Kevin and the Zapper is first in line. One of the easiest and most musical auto filter's I've ever played.

Also, for those of you who don't know (and I hope he doesn't mind my mentioning it), Kevin is an excellent guitarist. I had a chance to check out his current band here recently (the RingOut!) and they were great. Cool to hear Kevin playing through his own designs too.

dirtnap101 likes this.
  16. dirtnap101

dirtnap101 Member

In answering the above question and posting Nick's video, I watched the whole thing again and ended up ordering a Green Zapper for my small board, lol. I had to tweak the trimmers inside just a bit, but now I can't stop playing it.