Henretta Orange Whip

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Copper_Head, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Copper_Head

Copper_Head Supporting Member

This compressor is so good I may have to get a second one. One on my board, and one to use on the "naked guitar" gigs that I don't bring the pedal board.

It's soooo small it's not a hassle to carry anywhere. I've even considered attaching it to my guitar strap, would be easily doable. Or putting it in the control cavity of my next Strat build. Seriously.
    I'll have to see how long it can run on a 9v.

Anyways, it's really good, and if you're looking for a compressor check this one out if you have the opportunity.

2. kevinhifi

kevinhifi Member

So glad to hear the Orange Whip is working out for you!

3. KeithC

KeithC Silver Supporting Member

These are only available from dealers now?
    Thanks!

4. kevinhifi

kevinhifi Member

^ Yes, All of my pedals are available exclusively through Fat Tone Guitars. They ship everywhere - free in USA.

5. jpervin

jpervin Member

If you mean 9V battery...it won't. It's too small.

6. Hulakatt

Hulakatt Supporting Member

I assume if he is going to put it into the control cavity of a strat, he will remove the circuit from the case.

I have done this with the GGG Orange Squeezer a few times, mostly with basses, and it works very well indeed.

7. kevinhifi

kevinhifi Member

I did it with a BYOC fuzzface board a while back and had a lot of fun with it. The Orange Whip circuit board is 1.7" x 1.7", so the trickiest part is finding a spot for it. Actually, the trickiest part is desoldering the footswitch, but I could sell you just a populated board without the switch. As far as running it off of a battery, it happens to be, by far, the highest current draw pedal of my entire line. It'll typically pull around 35-40mA. Since it isn't large enough for a battery, I had the luxury of tweaking the circuit to minimize the noise (the original Orange Squeezers can be a little hissy). The compromise in reducing noise was increasing power consumption. You'd have to put a switch on the guitar to make sure the circuit is turned off when you don't want it. For extra safety, you could make the guitar's output jack a stereo jack that deactivates the power when you pull the plug - similar to how most pedals work.

Let me know if you really plan to do this.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  8. tibbon

tibbon Member

This is a pretty cool idea. If you do this, you've also essentially put a buffer coming right out of your guitar, so no matter how long your cable runs are you should be ok.

9. kevinhifi

kevinhifi Member

Yeah, it's really the spirit of Dan Armstrong's original concept. The effect boxes were designed to stick right on the guitar's output jack.