• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Henriksen The Bud?

EmandoDave

I had a lot of fun in 2016 getting into (and through) effects pedals, primarily for Stealie. I also had a revelation that they are fun tools/toys, but my real tone comes from the instruments and how I play them. I expect I will be a couple pedals lighter soon.

As I am starting to scale back on the pedals, I've also had a couple of realization about my amps. First, is that I have 4 of them; Laney LA65D for gigging acoustic, Laney LX65R for gigging electric, a Laney Cub 10 tube amp, and a Fender Frontman 15R. Of course, the gig-worthy ones are a pain to transport and the practice size amps are only good for that. My thoughts these days go to having a single, small, gig-worthy amp that can handle the different ways my mandos get amped (humbucker, Baggs Radius, and stocl passive piezo) and respect/preserve the great tone each of them offers.

My research is strongly suggesting I want a Henriksen "The Bud." I am wondering who has had what type of experiences with this amp, e.g. acoustic, electric, both, gig amp, practice amp, etc. Thanks in advance for sharing!

BlueRiff

Your Laney LX65R is only 33 lbs - maybe you have back issues? I only mention this because I believe no matter how powerful the Bud is for you, the sonic foot print coming out of a 6.5" Eminence Beta PA speaker + tweeter will not be great for general pop electric guitar with pedals - but instead it will excel with archtops and acoustics, etc. Certainly it will work with pedals - but it won't sound as great as your Laney. The other thing is this really small speaker. There is no way around it - these small speakers don't put out rich bass like a larger cone - even if they can handle huge amounts of power. It will be mostly midrange band from that small speaker. On the other hand, I once owned an Evans AE100 (Emi Beta 8") which had a pretty big sound - but mostly low mid to high - not alot of bass. And I've not heard the Bud so I could be corrected. Just some thoughts on this. Hope it helps.

EmandoDave

Its less the weight and more the bulk of the big Laneys, especially when stairs are involved. Also part of the motivation is downsizing the collection. This is part of a larger downsizing move in my life. "1 amp to rule them all one amp to bind them" meets a few goals. Your point about voicing is well made. The Laney clean really is a perfect pedal platform.

Last edited:

corbetta

I've heard the Bud a few times at trade/acoustic shows and it sounds a lot (a WHOLE LOT) better than similarly sized amps (ZT Lunchbox, etc). It's a really special little thing. Don't know it would necessarily "replace" a bigger amp, but it's more than serviceable and produces a great sound.

THiwaTT

The Bud puts out a surprising amount of low end for its size, and the gig bag makes it a breeze to back around - it has literally become my only amp

Trending Topics

Top Bottom