Henry Kaiser Five Times Surprise Rig Rundown

OldBlack

Except that's not really Rule 2.

Rule 2 is actually that you are not allowed to bash the musicians that the Secret TGP Committee has deemed unbashable. The rest of us get bashed around here all the time with no ill effects. Nobody cares If YOU get pissed and leave, but God forbid John Mayer, who likely contributes absolutely nothing at all to the knowledge around here, gets slighted.

I was going to make a joke about him being an actor, but I guess the jokes on me - he and josh groban aren’t the same person?

sahhas

it's funny all the reactions that people have to HK, i love his playing, have a number of his albums that are very good. I believe it's on the "Remarrying for Money" album, he states that one of his first loves was Cream-era Clapton. I just also loved reading that after listening to Sonny Sharrock is when he went out and bought a guitar....that is just mind blowing to me, b/c I've been listening to a lot of Sonny Sharrock lately and his work is just out of this world!!!
It's odd-i couldn't watch the gear rundown at home last weekend either...just odd...

Absolutely no disrespect. I know what you are saying.

I'm a bit suspicious when I go hear jazz or avant-garde players and they seem to be avoiding everything that sounds traditional. (Mostly because it seems self-conscious or deliberate, and so kind of limited and still in a "style.") But sometimes that just isn't the players' interest.

And we do have 170,827 members here that can play normally. :);):( The last guitar show I went to there were 100's of guys playing the same, and I dare to say it... cliches. I read Eric Clapton's "There's One in Every Crowd" was originally titled by E.C., "The World's Greatest Guitar Player... There's One in Every Crowd," but he got a no on that.

Henry's merits are elsewhere. I mean he is deep sea diving under the arctic pole, an explorer, so...

dk_ace

I’ve always just seen the weird noises clips of HK.

That Messthetics stuff is cool. I expected he could play based on the people that he’s worked with, just never heard him playing songs. I like the messthetics stuff I just heard, will have to check out the rig rundown.

D

Blanket Jackson

Trash! Pick it up!
Gold Supporting Member
Henry Kaiser is the 14 year old guitar player in all of us. Bored with everything "fake" around us, but no car to get in trouble with, so just play guitar all day and dream about things that have never been done.
He looks at music and life like a child (not childish, but with a sense of wonder and excitement), which is really a gift and not to be dismissed.
He is each and every one of us, if we had the time and means to be true to our personal vision and to follow our dreams, wherever they may lead us.
He also seems to be a genuinely nice guy.
Henry is my hero.
The way some of us talk about him, I think we have lost something fundamental to contentment, wonder and fearlessness. We sound like the grown ups in The Little Prince. We sound like the parents that caused Max to escape to Where The Wild Things Are. And we call ourselves "artists" .....

Last edited:

D Holbrook

Henry Kaiser is the 14 year old guitar player in all of us. Bored with everything "fake" around us, but no car to get in trouble with, so just play guitar all day and dream about things that have never been done.
He looks at music and life like a child (not childish, but with a sense of wonder and excitement), which is really a gift and not to be dismissed.
He is each and every one of us, if we had the time and means to be true to our personal vision and to follow our dreams, wherever they may lead us.
He also seems to be a genuinely nice guy.
Henry is my hero.
The way some of us talk about him, I think we have lost something fundamental to contentment, wonder and fearlessness. We sound like the grown ups in The Little Prince. We sound like the parents that caused Max to escape to Where The Wild Things Are. And we call ourselves "artists" .....

Well said..

urQuill

g.f.a.
Silver Supporting Member
Henry Kaiser is the 14 year old guitar player in all of us.

Combined with the mastery of decades ... total control ... brilliant, crystal-clear mind. Amazing.

I have never been so on the edge of my seat by a dumb rig-rundown! It’s so fun! If he can make a boring gear interview that exciting and intense, what are the live performances like? I would go through a lot to see and hear him in concert.

Last edited:

Seance

A crucial difference. Passion and openness are strengths... not flaws.

Music is about emotional wavelengths. Either you "feel it" or you don't.
All of which is subject to change dependent upon the circumstance and
your emotional situation.

Last edited:

fetishfrog

I met Henry years ago, as we were playing on the same bill.

Very nice guy, very energetic and engaging, probably 5x smarter than most people think he is.

He let me play his Klein (the one in the video) without a second's thought, just handed it to me and walked off to get something. No big deal, here's my rare as hen's teeth custom hand built guitar.

He's having way more fun in that video than most of will all day.

ferrinbonn

Henry Kaiser threads on TGP are infamous for descending into passionate arguments about the man’s talent or lack thereof. Every time I see a new one pop up, I feel like I should be buckling myself into the nearest chair.

If nothing else, we have him (or his instructional video) to thank for all the “crystal lattice” Dumble jokes:

I've seen these clips a number of times now and I'm still not sure what to make of them. I honestly thought it was a parody the first time I saw it. Kaiser is playing all kinds of off the wall stuff and then giving these lectures about unobtanium gear but talking about to the audience like it's meant for total beginners. And then they pan over to Dumble who's rocking a bandanna and sweats to spew a bunch of pseudoscience. Honestly the most surreal guitar video I've seen.

pickdropper

I am Soldering Iron Man
Vendor
I met Henry years ago, as we were playing on the same bill.

Very nice guy, very energetic and engaging, probably 5x smarter than most people think he is.

He let me play his Klein (the one in the video) without a second's thought, just handed it to me and walked off to get something. No big deal, here's my rare as hen's teeth custom hand built guitar.

He's having way more fun in that video than most of will all day.

Yeah, he definitely enjoys life (or seems to from my 1000 foot view).

I built him a pedal a year or two ago. He sent me a photo of him holding it in Antarctica. No real reason other than to say he was having fun with it and having fun in Antarctica. It made me smile.

Top Bottom