• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Henry Kaiser

iamdavea

Gold Supporting Member
Sure. Especially when they're adding something of actual merit to the discussion, as opposed to a variation on "I don't like this, therefore it sucks". Not sure many of the bashers' posts here would stand up to that common sense metric.

(Plenty of threads at TGP regarding players I don't like/get. I just tend to avoid them. Horses for courses.)

Besides, iamdavea referenced the same show on page 2 of this thread, but if redundancy is your thing...

Thank You for reminding me of a post I wrote more than 10 months ago. I should have checked my TGP Journal before I mentioned it again. Must be early-onset Dementia. Please forgive me. And if you'd like to point out the redeeming qualities of Kaiser's Anderson demo, I'm wide open.

Gas-man

Unrepentant Massaganist
Sure. Especially when they're adding something of actual merit to the discussion, as opposed to a variation on "I don't like this, therefore it sucks". Not sure many of the bashers' posts here would stand up to that common sense metric.

(Plenty of threads at TGP regarding players I don't like/get. I just tend to avoid them. Horses for courses.)

Besides, iamdavea referenced the same show on page 2 of this thread, but if redundancy is your thing...

Just checking since I know you are a tolerant, open-minded individual who is willing to listen to diverse opinions.

Bassomatic

Thank You for reminding me of a post I wrote more than 10 months ago. I should have checked my TGP Journal before I mentioned it again. Must be early-onset Dementia. Please forgive me. And if you'd like to point out the redeeming qualities of Kaiser's Anderson demo, I'm wide open.

You mean the vid you referenced yesterday, when you equated his entire musical persona to a 4 minute "nutshell"?

iamdavea

Gold Supporting Member
You mean the vid you referenced yesterday, when you equated his entire musical persona to a 4 minute "nutshell"?

There's a slight desperation to your efforts here, but I simply said that the video in question was, FOR ME, Kaiser "in a nutshell." Get it? FOR ME. I'm also one of the very few people participating in this thread who has actually seen Kaiser live. And still, that Anderson video best encapsulates what Kaiser wants to bring to the party. Now why don't you take a breath--perhaps several--and move on.

Chrome Dinette

I really don't have time to waste on this board, but I may occasionally check in and post something of interest if I come across it.

Two things relevant to this thread:

1. Louisville, KY cassette label Loin Seepage will be reissuing a recording from 1984 by longtime Louisville band Ut Gret. Kaiser and pals Eugene Chadbourne, John Oswald, CK Noyes and Greg Goodman also appear on this recording.

http://loinseepage.blogspot.com/2014/01/coming-in-2014.html

2. We all know how important Derek Bailey's music is to HK and here is my friend's dissertation about the improvised guitar music of Derek Bailey compared and contrasted to the composed guitar music of Richard Barrett. There are transcriptions of some of Bailey's improvising, so here is an easy chance to cop some licks. Also at the link is an original composition and score for an electric guitar piece:

http://d-scholarship.pitt.edu/21260/

and while I am here:

For me, this is Kaiser in a nutshell. Ostensibly, he's going to demo a Tom Anderson Cobra, and then proceeds to play four excruciating minutes of absolute, unmitigated noise. Not a single sound he produces here is of any value to a player wondering what useful tones an Anderson can produce. The sheer, self-absorbed cluelessness on Kaiser's part is monumental. Play as much as you can stand:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTXiwaklwAU

That is from a long form DVD called A Bunch Of Guitar Solos. Yes, he plays a different guitar on every track, but it is not intended to be a gear demo, at least not in the sense that your average gear consumer would think of it. Sometimes I wonder if people actually want to listen to music other than gear demos these days.

And, regarding the bolded text, ********. It sounds good to me.

Gumbygreeneye

In my opinion that video was just crap. I accept he may have a vision that he plays to but I am looking out of a completely different window.

Cal Webway

Man o' man,

The Stephen Foster CD HK contributes a song to -wonderfully- is used $38, and new $50++

:(

Last edited:

kush06

rather than let this thread get derailed by haters.... let me celibrate the man..

Ok, I was seriously in the camp of thinking this guy literally cannot play the guitar and is playing some sort of epic joke on everyone, but after hearing this my mind is changed. Clearly he's out there in his own world but clearly he can write traditional music. This is a beautiful song.

edit : just found out this is a cover of a grateful dead song.

Gumbygreeneye

Hey Holbrook. I really did try to listen and give it a fair try. I have no doubt he has skills and ideas but it's like reggae to me. - I just don't like it.

I'm happy the guy can make a living doing what he loves.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom