• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Henry Kaiser's "Sloppy Comparison" of BMP-style fuzzes

FloridaSam

Very cool! My top 3 were:

1. Diceworks Burns Buzz Around
2. Zvex Box of Metal
3. Diceworks Muff Diver Cornish Mod

I think Henry could make a Boss OS-2 sound great though!

Thanks again, this made my night.

JCM 800

I just don't get it? Is this supposed to be funny or something? To me every pedal sounds horrible. He's got a super nice guitar and amp, yet these have to be the worst sounding demos I've heard. Each pedal pretty much sounds the same. Bad. This guy is supposedly a pro player? He had to have been playing bad on purpose right, or am I just not getting it? Sorry. :(

sorry i missed all the fun.
i love horrible sounding fuzz that will take any high $$$ guitar and hand built amp and reduce it into the sweetest noise on earth or like the amp is about to blow up.
props to U, mr. vex, for creating the fuzz probe. i have a silver one from '99 that revolutionised my life. since then it's been joined by the truly beautiful disaster, a full family of the metasonix fuzz boxes, some others and Ur wonderful 'machine' which combines w/ any OD to make some beautiful sonic mayhem.

henry kaiser is a frickin' genius.

Lolaviola

Silver Supporting Member
I'm sorry I missed the fun, too! The decision to gracefully avoid a stressfest-bloodbath is appreciated, thanx ZV. If you have not heard of Henry Kaiser, well, please dont advertise your ignorance. Before "noise" before "post-rock" before "alternative" there was HK...

KRosser

I can't believe I missed this when the clips were still up...that sucks...

I totally dig HK...

I'll tell you, I'd give anything to know what fuzz he uses on "Invite The Spirit 2006"...that's one of the all-time killer fuzz sounds for me on that record....

dividedsky

Why not leave the clip up and let each person decide for themselves? Taking down the clip lends credence to those saying he can't play.

I just don't get it? Is this supposed to be funny or something? To me every pedal sounds horrible. He's got a super nice guitar and amp, yet these have to be the worst sounding demos I've heard. Each pedal pretty much sounds the same. Bad. This guy is supposedly a pro player?
phishmarisol said:
Why not leave the clip up and let each person decide for themselves?
zachary vex said:
I don't want this to degenerate any further.
sad, but yet abstractly understandable.

zachary vex

Okay.

But play nice, or I'll remove it from my server.

Here it is:

-------------------------------

Henry Kaiser sent me this comparison of fuzzes, where he ultimately selected his favorite 2 big-muff-pi-styled fuzzes (the non-BMP pedals were excluded from the contest for this, but included for audio comparison.)

Here is his email, picture, and link to the audio. His voice is very quiet compared to the guitar because he's talking through the amp's mic, so be careful.

Henry Kaiser's email:

---------------

just for fun today
I am comparing fuzzes

FUZZ PEDALS: SLOPPY COMPARISONS

mostly Muff style fuzzes see settings in photo low res MP3 attached

1 Dice Works Muff Diver regular mode
2 Dice Works Muff Diver Cornish mod mode
3 Sustain Punch Creamy Dreamer
4 Euthymia ICBM Fuzz
5 MG Muff Feliz
6 Voodoo Lab Super Fuzz (the big loser here, I think)
7 Cornish P2 Fuzz
8 Cornish PCMA Fuzz (not a Muff type fuzz)
9 Dice Works Burns Buzzaround Clone (not a Muff type fuzz)
10 ZVex Box of Metal (not a Muff type fuzz)
11 Way Huge Swollen Pickle
12 Frantone The Sweet (another loser here, for me)
13 ENCORE: Sustain Punch Creamy Dreamer
14 ENCORE: Dice Works Muff Diver Cornish mod mode

neck single coil pickup Soloway guitar treble rolled off into clean K&M amp into JBL Speaker

http://media.zvex.com/MANY_FUZZ_COMPARISON_2.mp3

The very last thing he says before playing the last fuzz is very difficult to hear. It's "Muff Diver from Dice Works again."

markom89

Holy Crap that's a dope fuzz "collection", Z!

How are you liking that MG fuzz??? Also, how's the Cornish unit?

EDIT: Just re-read your post :) silly me.

Chrome Dinette

I really got a kick out of this when it was first posted, but I was wondering if it would go the direction of the other HK thread(the one with the Dumble vid clip).

I really don't understand why people bash him. I can't see anything wrong with what he played in the clips. It may not have been perfect, but I could certainly identify significant differences in the pedals.

Then again, I have been a Kaiser fan since i was a teenager.

Chrome Dinette

info about HK I posted in the Dumble thread:

If you want to check out what HK does for cheap, Wayside is selling the Crazy Backward Alphabet cd for $3:

http://www.waysidemusic.com/ProductI...d=22/SST%20110

There are a bunch of audio tracks available on his official website here:

http://www.henrykaiser.net/multimedi...les/index.html

Here is an album available only for free download, consisting of duets with drummer Bert Switzer, lots of distortion and effects:

http://www.bertswitzer.com/kaiser-switzer/

Antero

Hell, this is a hundred times more interesting than most of the sound clips posted on here.

You know, this demo is missing one thing: An actual BMP!

FloridaSam

Z, thanks for putting it back up. I was really starting to think there was something wrong with me as I really liked those demos. Most of my favorite guitarists would fall into the "sloppy" category, and my playing is always referred to as "sloppy" and I LOVE Big Muffs, and the first pedal I bought when getting back into pedal collecting (after years of playing straight into a vintage Marshall) was the Good Ol' Fuzz Probe. That's all, I feel better now. :)

fuzzinator

I give great thanks for guitarists like Henry Kaiser. I'm a little shocked at the attack earlier. I can understand that HK may not be to everyone's taste, but I'm surprised he warranted an outright attack.

Oh well. Different strokes for different strokes.

Kinda like how I'd rather stick a bear cub up my butt and throw rocks at its mother than listen to Eric Johnson or Robben Ford.

Trending Topics