Herdim Pick Thickness Question for the U2 crowd...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by spakuloid, Feb 7, 2012.

1. spakuloid

spakuloid Member

So I've got these blue Herdims that I've had for a while and they are super flimsy - and feel like a fender medium. Is there a thicker/stiffer version of these anywhere? Something closer to a Tortex 1.0? The few google searches I have done keep saying that the blue Herdim's are the thickest. However if this is true - then the other versions must be really really thin - borderline unusable.

2. Garygtr

Garygtr Almost as good! Silver Supporting Member

Blue is the heaviest as far as I know. Try Herco Flex 75s if you haven't yet, they are stiffer and have a nice grip end if you're after that Edge chimey/scrapey thing

3. walkers

walkers Member

I stumbled across these in a local shop, they are great for chime...my favorite now.

4. jimbugg

jimbugg Supporting Member

I like my picks pretty thin I guess, but the blue Herdims work wonders for me--I hardly pay anything else.

5. spakuloid

spakuloid Member

I'll give em a go. I only use the Herdims once in a while anyhow - it tends to sound grating after a while to me. Can't stand any picks thinner than 1.0's. It's like playing with dental floss.

6. 10strings

10strings Member

He uses Blue, however I prefer the yellow.

7. jrf

jrf Member

I use the blue large teardrops, which are slightly thicker than the blue standard shaped ones the edge uses. Works for me.

8. tech21nyc

tech21nyc Member

The blue is the thickest and then the red and the yellow is the thinnest. I have them all. The yellow is pretty flimsy. They seem to work better for me at home than on a gig. The Herco Flex 50 (gold) I believe is a bit stiffer than the Herdim blue. A little smaller in shape. The Herco Flex 75 is much stiffer.

9. softclipper

softclipper Member

I would like to try them. In terms of stiffness, it would be more or less correct to say that the blue one is equivalent to the .73 mm. standard Dunlop nylon, the red closer to the .60 mm., and the yellow about the .50 mm.?

10. Hugo Da Rosa

Hugo Da Rosa Silver Supporting Member

11. s360guitarist

s360guitarist Silver Supporting Member

Almost there...the Herdim bumps go all the way to the edge of the pick.

12. spakuloid

spakuloid Member

Whatever a fender medium pick is - that is what the Blue Herdim feels like. This being TGP and me with out my micrometer I may be flailed, strung and quartered for not being mathematically correct - but I have Fender Medium pick here and a few Blue Herdims and they feel the same. I play Tortex 1.0 or 1.14 most of the time. Would like a stiffer Herdim style in that thickness and it seems I am SOL.

13. EunosFD

EunosFD Member

I use some picks that are similar to those, but am unsure of the brand (has some sort of "C" logo on it?). I like them as they can get the Herdim chime, but also have that little smooth edge for more fluid playing. Plus I can find them locally & cheap.

14. teleclem

teleclem Member

Yeah, they're definitely more flimsy than the blue tortex. I have a few blue herdims here.

15. tdk8709

tdk8709 Senior Member

The Fender Mediums are comparable to the red Herdim (.88). The Blue Herdim picks are 1.1, so they should be right up there with the Fender Heavy picks. Maybe the nylon material feels more "flimsy" than the celuloid used in the Fenders. I find the Blue Herdim picks plenty stiff enough.

16. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

And it makes ALL the difference in the world...I have the snarling dogs and I have to change how I pick to get the nubs to scrape...

I want to try the herdims, but .73mm is thinner than what I prefer to use

17. MichaelKenis

MichaelKenis Member

18. Brettski

Brettski Member

I'm an ardent pick junky and I've never run across these. I'll have to check em out. I've been digging some acrylic picks with un-polished edges for this kind of sound lately, particularly the Gravity 2.0 mm Sunrise but I'm not completely sold on the idea of a really grabby edge being my only option with a pick. My old man has used silver Hercos this since they invented dirt. Maybe he's onto something.

19. philbert_s

philbert_s Member

Are you playing with the grippy end against the strings? Agreed that the flimsy end is a bit too flimsy. The only real reason to use them is the scrapey Edge thing. It’s a huge part of his sound tho. I’ve also found it really useful doing blues stuff through a cleanish fender amp. Much easier to get the SRV thing going on, when necessary. It makes the attack really stand out.

Phil

20. John Mark Painter

John Mark Painter Silver Supporting Member

Hercos are great.
    The Flex 75 are about the same thickness as a Fender heavy but are much more flexible and never wear out.
    But the proper picking edge is smooth.
    The whole thing about getting the same picks that the Edge uses is pretty funny to me.
    Whatever keeps you entertained is good though :)

That being said...the Herco 75 does tend to give you some fun hamfisted attack when you want it.
    I use them on GTR and Bass.

I also have a big bag of Herco 50.
    They are LIGHT. I use them on guitar a bit.
    After using these a bit, I really dislike normal picks now.

Brettski likes this.