Here are a few soundclips of a Bogner Caveman

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by Berlin Chris, Oct 7, 2006.

1. Berlin Chris

Berlin Chris Member

Hi forumites,

I finally have my stuff together to record my amp at moderate volume. I still can not really crank it, but well, it´s a significantly better situation than before. So yesterday I started to record a few clips with a condenser mic into a Presonus firebox and an Apple Powerbook and much to my surprise it instantly sounds decent without any further tweaking.

Here are some clips of a Bogner Caveman, 2x12"combo with Vintage 30s, 6L6, two channels (one clean one crunch). I put the clips together in one mp3, no Eq´ing of any kind, just some reverb and delay here and there.

http://homepage.mac.com/christofma/Bognersounds.mp3

1. Funky stuff: Rhythm-Strat into clean channel, lead Strat into crunch channel. Both tracks without any processing, no reverb, no nothing, just barebones

2. Rock stuff: Fender Esprit into crunch channel, Lead also into crunch channel, but with boost on.

3. Eric Johnson style: Strat into crunch channel with the help of a cranked Baldringer Dualdrive plus some reverb and tape-delay from the computer. This is a great, great lead sound... EJ and everybody else: please forgive my playing, I f***ek the lines up. Ouch!

4. Powerballad: Fender Esprit into crunch channel, Baldringer Dualdrive added for the high-gain part, Reverb and Delay added in the3 mix.

5. Fusion stuff: Fender Esprit into clean channel, softer setting with less highs.

Hope you like it ..... :)

2. johnfindlay

johnfindlay Member

Nice playin-I have the Metro 2x12 combo-i recognize some similarities-
    specially the funk lead track.

nice clips-much enjoyed!

jf

3. Lution

Lution Member

Beautiful playing, holmes! And some sweet sweet tones! All around, just a nice piece of works.

I just received a Bogner Shiva 6L6 Head yesterday and am busy tweaking my sound today. Can you tell me what kind of preamp tubes you are using in your Caveman?

Thanks

-Lution

4. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

GREAT PLAYING , pristine tones and recording job.. thanks

Eric

5. ultrevex

ultrevex Member

Nice tones and recording. I also use a small firewire interface with my laptop for recording. Makes for a nice tidy rig and gets great audio quality. When you say that you cant record your rig loud, is it because of volume limitations where you live/record or because you're getting mic overload? A dynamic mic might help that situation.

Anyway, nice job. I've always been wary of channel switching amps but most Bogner clips I hear sound very good to me.

6. Berlin Chris

Berlin Chris Member

Volume limitations, definitely. The amp is now in the back room of my office and I am thinking of building a small guitar (and vocal) booth for it when time and money allows. I want to crank that thing, because it really "breathes" nicely when played at higher volumes. Also I would like to use less pre-amp gain and let the power tubes do the talking instead.

Honestly, Lution, I don´t know what brand they are. I can have a closer look inside if you like. But I used to own a Shiva too (EL34 head with 2x12 oversized cab) and let me tell you: the Caveman is a completely different animal, absolutely no comparison. The Shiva is more "beautiful" sounding - especially in the clean channel - while the Caveman is brutally direct, also the Shiva has more gain on tap in the crunch channel and is voiced pretty differently.

ericb and johnfindlay: thanks for the kind words. Much appreciated! :)

7. Lution

Lution Member

if you don't mind. I'm kind of curious about what they are.

Regarding your comparison, that may be why Reinhold called it the Caveman. :dude

8. Berlin Chris

Berlin Chris Member

Valvo in 1st position, "no name" Made in China 12AX7 in all other positions and Siemens 6L6 powertubes.

9. Berlin Chris

Berlin Chris Member

Yeah, you are what you play, Mr. Shiva..... :D

10. journo

journo Member

Hi Chris,

Very nice and suitable sound for the tunes. Sounds like a versatile amp.
    I also do believe that your talent has something to do with it. :D

Cheers,

Mats N

11. Berlin Chris

Berlin Chris Member

Thank you, Mr. Backingtrack. You are too kind :)

12. Lution

Lution Member

[​IMG]