Here is a fret board layout showing the Major scale and Box pattern

jaxjaxon

You can move the pattern to any fret and be playing in the key of the root 3rd fret G 7th fret B
Major Scale pattern and box shape at fifth fret.gif

JDJ

I believe this is subtle commentary that this is a guitar-oriented music gear discussion forum, directed at those Pubsters who only participate in this fractional sub forum and trod little elsewhere. Well played.

RYAN1987M

Gold Supporting Member
So, in summary, only play the notes without a letter on them at your own peril?

ctreitzell

What fret do you move it to to play in Dm, which is the saddest key?
Juice by Lizzo is in Dm (somewhat)...do you find this sad?
or is that a question?

Sadness/ mood comes from melody and performance...key sigs are just a way to explain what notes to play for others...I'm sure some very sad moods can be achieved using A-B-C#-D-E-F#-G#

michael patrick

Loud and proud
Silver Supporting Member

Juice by Lizzo is in Dm (somewhat)...do you find this sad?
or is that a question?

Sadness/ mood comes from melody and performance...key sigs are just a way to explain what notes to play for others...I'm sure some very sad moods can be achieved using A-B-C#-D-E-F#-G#

" It’s part of a trilogy, a musical trilogy I’m working on in D minor, which is the saddest of all keys, I find. People weep instantly when they hear it, and I don’t know why. "

jaxjaxon

Yes I have been using this type of Major box shape pattern for years. No it will only do major keys. To do a minor key you need to move the half step down one semi tone making the H a W and the W before it a H. The R is the root / tonic of the key the W is a whole step or two semi tones and the H is a half step or one semi tone.

Motterpaul

Tone is in the Ears
I like the way you made it start on "A" - which is also the first letter in the English alphabet. So much easier to remember that way: A B C D E F G, except the actual notes are A B C# D E F# G# A (just to be clear).

Also - if you start this scale on the F#, you have the F# natural minor. If you start it in B you have B-Dorian, if you start it on D you have D-Mixolydian. And the notes remain the same so why do we even learn all those modes?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom