1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Here is what I did with 3 speakers, do I have 16 ohms??

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by michael.e, Jul 19, 2006.

1. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

Hey!

So I have a pair of 30 watt Blue Dogs that are 16 ohms each. I wired them in Parallel for 8 ohms first. With that, I then wired that setup in Series to a 100 watt Jensen 8 ohm Neo speaker [excellent speaker btw].

This should give me 16 ohms, right?

I used the diagrams from this page for both setups. It is the first two diagrams on the page if you scroll down.
    http://www.colomar.com/Shavano/2x12wiring.html

The amp sounds superb with this setup. Nice and punchy and thick. Stays clean just like it should when I have plugged the amp in to a 16 ohm speaker in the past.

And......
    With that in mind...
    Am I correct that I am splitting the load between the Neo and the two Webers? 1/2 of the load going to the Neo and the other 1/2 going to the two Webers? So if my amp was putting out 50 watts, the Neo would get 25 watts, and the Blue Dogs would each get 12.5 watts?? Is that correct?

Thanks,
    M.E.

2. baald

baald Member

3. griley

griley Member

yep dead right, in total - 16 Ohms, 120 Watts

4. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

Great! Thanks very much guys!!

5. uberpict

uberpict Member

He-he, not my forte either. Far too analytical and dry, much preferred statics, dynamics and mechanical design to electronics. But to chime in, yep, thats 16ohms. As for power handling the two 30watt speakers are probably going to be the limiting factor at 60 watts not 160 watts total. Someone who knows the answer will chime in but I believe that to be the case.

6. ekp

ekp Member

You do have 16 ohms.

Have a great day, Eric

7. JohnnyL

JohnnyL Member

I have read here, and other forums, when combining speakers of varying wattage handling capabilities, that you must calculate total handling of the lowest rated speaker. ie., a 30 watt and a 60 watt speaker equal 60 watts of input capability rather than 90 watts.

Take Care,

JohnnyL

8. AdamGian

AdamGian Member

You should always measure the load with an ohm meter before you plug a newly wired cab into your amp. A 16 ohm (impedance) load will read about 12 ohms (of resistance) on a meter. Likewise, 8 ohm (impedance) will read about 6 ohms of resistance.

Always make sure you've got the load you think you've got. Even if it's one 16 ohm speaker in a cab that you just wired up. How do you know that it's not a dead short or an open unless you measure it?

Also, if you are mixing speakers in a cab, make sure they are all in phase with each other. Plug a speaker cable into the cab and briefly touch a 9 volt battery across plus and minus at the other end of the cable. All of the speakers in the cab should move in the same direction when current is applied.