here we go again... what was #1 reason for Beatles Breakup?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by RichusRkr, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Matt Dillon

Matt Dillon Member

After they ran out of all the songs they stole from Clarence, they had to break up.

2. gtrdave

gtrdave Member

From all that we've been made privy to over the years, it seems they simply grew apart and got tired of being in a band with each other.

The Beatles had a very good, very intense 10 year run and even though the early years featured a few different members, the entity of the band was a very large part of the global music business for a decade and maintaining the band any longer seemed to be a reduced priority for all 4 guys.
    It's too easy to pin the demise on one scapegoat, i.e., Yoko, but I'm sure her presence wasn't always positively received...especially once she attempted to "sing".
    Yet I digress...

3. stanshall

stanshall Member

in the back of a dream car twenty foot long
    Ob-la-di, Ob-la-da, Maxwell's Silver Hammer, Yoko, foolishly choosing Klein over Eastmans, Paul's attempt to force Get Back tour, Yoko denigrating other Beatles, Apple wah-wahs, failure of all of Magic Alex's inventions, John's hurt feelings when he wasn't asked to play on Why Don't We Do It In the Road?, John's delusions of grandeur after performing with the Dirty Mac at the Rock & Roll Circus, John's anger at chilly reception given to Yoko by George after Dylan said she was bad news, Yoko's theft of one of George's choccy digestive biscuits, cover of Two Virgins, John's depression over the miscarriage, lingering malaise after Brian's death, enthusiasm for Plastic Ono Band projects like Give Peace a Chance, John and Paul's giving George's songs short shrift

Abram4235, deeohgee, drlucky and 4 others like this.
  4. JiveJust

JiveJust Member

Wouldn’t you think that after they got used to not touring (and living lives apart from each other) the thought of having to work with each other again was unbearable?

freedomspec likes this.
  5. eigentone

eigentone Supporting Member

6. flyonthewall150

flyonthewall150 Supporting Member

I think it was just a natural evolution in 4 very different personalities. Paul wanted to go solo and everyone had kind of had enough of being “The Beatles”. They had all grown and matured and it was the right time for everyone to go their separate ways. And thank goodness they did or we might not have gotten “All Things Must Pass” (the equal of any Beatles album IMO) or John’s first two amazing solo albums.

7. stevenymets

stevenymets Member

Riding on a unicorn through a gumdrop rainbow
    I find this Rolling Stone cover piece to be pretty detailed:
    https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/why-the-beatles-broke-up-113403/

And his shorter companion piece by the same author to be pretty definitive:
    https://www.rollingstone.com/music/...s-broke-up-the-story-behind-our-cover-242950/

Gevalt and irongrl like this.
  8. MkIII Renegade

MkIII Renegade Member

Her "opinion" as WHAT? A Beatle?!! Would you tolerate a band member installing a bed in your recording studio along with a mic so his non-talented, non-Beatle gf could remotely give her "opinion" about the progress of your sessions in real time? I would have gotten into a fist fight with John over that if need be. I sure as hell would not have agreed to it. :spank

9. Broken Diode

Broken Diode Member

It’s interesting how little agency you attribute to Lennon.

It seems more likely that he enjoyed what Yoko was doing. And it was just a passive aggressive manifestation of his will.

10. mischultz

mischultz Member

That's not the young lady's name.

Radar, SDB and thosk like this.
  11. tim gueguen

tim gueguen Member

Ringo played a major role in the recording of the soundtrack album to Give My Regards to Broad Street, and both Ringo and his wife Barbara Bach appeared in the film.

drlucky, abby_normal and Laurence like this.
  12. 808illest

808illest Supporting Member

But seriously, as said earlier in the thread they were just all sick of the show/media/expectations etc.. long before the actual "end".

Laurence likes this.
  13. General_Specific

General_Specific Member

According to John, he was bored. He wanted to play more Rock.

The Abbey Road medley was actually snippets of unfinished songs. John was losing inspiration and Paul was filling the gaps. John resented that.

14. Laurence

Laurence Silver Supporting Member

A bit later, but you're correct. My mistake. It's still pretty self evident there was a split where 3 didn't work with the 4th.

808illest likes this.
  15. MkIII Renegade

MkIII Renegade Member

[​IMG]

16. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

John probably got tired of the other 3 snickering about Yoko. I mean really, she was the ultimate head scratcher.

17. tim gueguen

tim gueguen Member

The Yoko bashing is silly. If for some reason she never met Lennon the Beatles would still have broken up, because all the underlying issues pushing them apart would still be there. And in that world a lot more people would blame Linda McCartney for their breakup, as some did in our world.

Washburnmemphis likes this.
  18. 808illest

808illest Supporting Member

Abram4235, Wolfboy1, beanbass and 3 others like this.
  19. Joe Robinson

Joe Robinson Gold Supporting Member

Just my opinion, but all those reasons listed by the OP seem to be external and overly complex. My belief is that the break up was triggered by someone, who, perhaps upon driving down to Abbey Road for the umpteenth time, suddenly realized, "I don't enjoy this, and I don't want to do it anymore"

20. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

They ran out of all of the good melodies..

beanbass and Madguitrst like this.